Ovarian Cancer Community
Bloating, fatigue, UTI and bowel habit changes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

My name is Danielle and I am 32 years old, married with no children. I am feeling bloated, tired and experiencing changes in my bowel habits (loose stools) for the last 2 months. These symptoms come and go. I went to the Gastroenterologist, she did stool test, blood test and all were normal. I also have history of abnormal paps (ASCUS), HPV negative and colposcopy results were normal.

Also, I had two UTIs in the last 2 months. On the first time, I went to the doctor, did an quick exam, which showed an infection and I took Bactrim for 5 days. On the second time (last week), the UTI symptoms lasted 3 days and I felt better, but I went to the urologist anyway and then he did a sonogram (bladder and kidney with normal results) and an urine test which showed E.coli. Since the exam did not show high levels of the bacteria and I did not have the symptoms anymore, I told him that I did not want to take more antibiotics and he said that he agreed as long as I do a new culture in 2 weeks. That’s my plan.

However, the bloating feeling and the fatigue and the recurrent loose stools, made me feel concerned about ovarian cancer. My cycle is regular but I experienced some blood in my urine, which made think that it was due to the UTI.

What kind of exams should I ask to my Ginecologist?

Thank you, Danielle
Please don't assume ovarian cancer but it is good that you are listening to your body and being proactive.  Cysts can have very similiar symptoms.  Do ask your doctor for a transvaginal ultrasound and a CT.  Good luck with everything.
Hi there.  I have suffered for many years UTIs and it causes a lot of tiredness and it can affect your bowels.  Also, blood in the urine can be caused by a severe urinary infection and you should take antibiotics, based on the urine sample culture.

My recommendation is drink a lot of water and try to keep active, like walking around the house.  Also, cranberry juice helps.  I agree with Trudie about checking you out to see if you have ovarian cysts.  They can produce similar symptoms and many times doctors think that your problems are related with IBS (intestinal bowel syndrome).

Best wishes,

Neta
Thank you all. I hava an appointment today with my Ginecologist.