Ovarian Cancer Community
Blood Filled ovarian cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Blood Filled ovarian cyst

Hi Everyone! I was diagnosed with a 'blood filled cyst' on my left ovary two months ago. I was asked question after question then the gyni recommended a laparotomy rather than a laparoscopy. I am 37 and had my son when I was 30. I am due to go into surgery on the 24th August. My gyni called it a cyst but when I got a letter from my doctor she said that I have an ovarian mass and will have surgery to remove it.
Why does one call it a cyst then another a mass and why have they recommended open surgery rather than laparoscopy?

I am starting to get really worried and still have three weeks to go!
I know what you mean about being worried and not knowing what the results are especially when the Dr.s say it in different terms that we can not understand. There needs to be a patient directory that explains clinical speak for us.
Best of Luck with your surgery.
I would request the radiologist report first, then a phone consultation if possible with your Gyn.
If a phone consultation is not possible, make a appointment to have one personally.
There are alot of reasons why a dr. might prefer to do a laparotomy over a laparoscopy, one being the size of the cyst/mass, another to ensure that the cyst/mass contents don't spill out in the adominal (abdominal) cavity.

You will find that the general concensus is to have the "right" doctor perform your surgery. If it is indeed a mass with a higher likelihood of being cancerous, it can be crucial to have a Gyn/Oncologist or a equally skilled Doctor perform the surgery from the very beginning.

Just remember that the majority of cysts are benign with only a 1% to 2% chance of being malignant. Cysts that are blood filled are sometimes "chocolate cysts", or corpus luteum cysts and are rarely if ever cancerous. A site that explains the different cysts that is very easy to understand is www.ovarian-cysts.com/html/types.php3.

I hope this helps alittle. Best wishes with your surgery!
Thanks Pearl Lady and Jules, I do feel a little better after your comments. It doesn't matter how much you try not to worry does it? you just do.
Good luck to you both.
I get cysts on my left ovary (i have one right now) i also have two uterisis and i have endometriosis. is there anyone out there that has anything like this (all three or ever two at the same time)? i dont know what to do. i have been trying to concieve (conceive) for about a year now and i have not had any luck besides one 1 month miscarriage. i am worried that i will never be able to convieve or that i will have to get IVF. do u think that i will be able to concieve (conceive) with te IVF even?

i am just so scared and i want a baby so badly.
A related discussion, I have both ovarian blood cysts and masses was started.