Ovarian Cancer Community
Blood in Urine..What does this mean???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Blood in Urine..What does this mean???

As you all well Know I am scheduled for surgery 8-9-05.  I have a 12cm cyst.  Don't know if it is cancer or not.  I have been suffering lower back pain for quite awhile and thought it was from the cyst, but they found microscopic blood in my urine.  Has anyone had this problem?  I have read up on hematuria and it says causes could be numerous, but list kidney stones, blockages, cancers...So i was just curious to know if anyone else has gone thru this.  Thanks!
I had that quite some time ago when i was pregnant and it was a bladder infection some antibiotics and I was set. (The Dr. put a catherter in me).  Good luck and i hope this helps

Lisa
My good friend has had blood in her urine for years but not enough to "see" it and they did all the tests on her and couldn't find out what was wrong.  It sure WASN"T cancer though.  She still has it and feels great.  I could find out more from her if you want me to.
Have you been tested for a urinary tract infection, a kidney infection, or for kidney stones?  The last two, involving the kidneys, can cause lower back pain, as well as pain in the lower side.
Yes I was tested and cultured, all turned out negative.  I have not been tested for stones as of yet but I am going in to get the cyst out next week and I told my doctor that if I need further testing, he better do it while I am in the hospital!!!
I am writing you on behalf of a friend of mine.  These were the symptoms she was suffering which brought her finally to the doctor. Nasuea, tiredness, sore boobs, missed period, low grade fever, using the restroom a lot. I kept saying she was pregnant but she took a test and came back neg. however, she was not even but a day late at the time.  She informed the nurse of this today and the nurse had her put a sample in the cup.  When she gave it to the nurse, the nurse responded with the fact that she had blood in her urine.  My friend could not see how she could tell this.  The nurse said it was a substantial amount and told her she needed to take antibiotics, see a specialist, and that this was very serious. Cancer of all sorts runs in her family.  I just don't understand why the nurse would not give a pregnancy test also.  She said she couldn't with blood in the urine.  She said when she was done with her antiobiotics then to come back in and they would do a test.  The nurse told her stress could cause kidney problems which she is under a great deal.  Anyone got any comments or suggestions to ease her mind.  I think it really has her worried. Thank you
I have had microscopic blood in my urine since I was a teenage (now 32).  I have been to 3 different urologists and had so many tests done, its not funny!!  They all came to conclusion that sometimes it just happens!!!  I can never see the blood, but its there,  and every time I go to gyn or family dr. and they want a urine sample, they see this and automatically say UTI, or send it off fo culture and I tell them everytime that this is normal for me and everytime they say no it cant be, there has to be reason....so the whole process starts again....I dk who to believe.  Nothing has ever really shown up; until now; as I had posted in another post - pls read below:

I was diagnosed several years ago with IBS, because of diarh. pretty frequently and cramping...I was also dx last year with IC(intercystialcystis sp???) after a year of drs. saying I had UTI or bladder infect. etc. My gyno thought it was endo. but when they did the lapro. they said it was IC. Anyway, I thought I was doing better, but within the past 6 weeks I have had chronic diarh., cramping, major lower back pain, more the bloating feeling and pain as if I had cysts on ovaries (which I have had before). Anyway, I went for an ultrasound which showed no cysts, but fibers(not for sure if thats what they said) on cysts, which they say is normal and small amt fluid on one side...anyway, they dismissed it as IBS flare up or just pain from my cycle.....and I forgot to mention the major bloated feeling I have and that I get full feeling as soon as I start eating, and very naus. after eating; I have even had this burning sensation in the bottom of my stomache ALOT lately. SO I dont know what to think. I shared my concern with my OB who dismissed it.....I def. dont want to overreact or be a hypo chond. but I am concerned that they just keep putting everything I have off on IBS. I have tried medicine for IBS and nothing works, not even diet changes.....thats what is puzzling me.

Anyway, this may be a crazy question, but do you have to have cysts to have ovarian cancer? Is it possible to have w/o any cysts? They did a transvag. ultra. HOw accurate is that. Could a cyst not have shown up? I mentioned this to the dr, but she thought I was being silly by asking that. And she is the 2 ob I have had.....SHould I see a onco. gyno? Just wanting to hear from others. I am 32 and do have a crazy medical history; had polyps removed from esoph. when I 28, and 8 polyps removed when I had colonoscopy; none were cancerous; but had I let that go, they could have turned into that. Thats what bothers me with this.

Thanks so much!

Now I am wondering if blood has been sign all along of something else wrong, and they just havent found it!!???