Ovarian Cancer Community
Blood thinners before surgery?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Blood thinners before surgery?

I'm scheduled to have a vaginal hysterectomy on February 1st. My GYN doctor wants to put me on blood thinners BEFORE the surgery because I have a blood clot history. Does anyone here have this same type of history and had to be on blood thinners before the surgery? I am a bit concerned about this because I am afraid of bleeding during the surgery due to the blood thinners. From my understanding I will have to be on the blood thinners a couple of days before surgery. Anyway, this really scares me.

I am NOT on blood thinners right now - haven't been in almost 2 years. What had happened was in April '06 I had gallbladder surgery - a few days after the surgery I had pain in my left calf. They found a DVT in my left leg, so I was put on blood thinners for a couple of months to help dissolve the blood clot. So because of this I now have a blood clot history. MY GYN told me the hysterectomy would be risky so he wants to have me take blood thinners BEFORE the surgery. I just need to know if anyone ever heard of this?
Seems like it would be a little risky, but I assume your GYN knows what he's doing.  Might not hurt to get a second opinion, though, just to be sure. Maybe you could even post the question to one of the docs on this forum.  What blood thinner does he want to put you on, and how high of a dose?   I have a history of DVT and pulmonary embolism, myself.  I am having a colonoscopy tomorrow, which shouldn't involve any cutting, yet I was instructed to stop my blood thinner on Friday.  I take Arixtra shots every day, so maybe that's the difference, though.  

Gail
Thanks Gail! I don't know what blood thinner or what dosage he wants to be me on yet. I see him next Monday. I have a surgeon that did my gallbladder surgery and the skin cancer surgery on me and I completely trust him, BUT he's not doing my surgery this time. I wonder if it would be a stupid thing to do, but I was thinking of maybe calling his office to see if I could talk to his nurse and maybe she can tell him my concern, so maybe I can get an answer out of him. I guess it's worth a shot.

When I first had the DVT I was on Lovenox shots, so maybe there is a difference and maybe this is what he wants to be me on. I am just so worried about bleeding during and after the surgery, so much so that I've been having the dry heaves!
Very risky, my son is on coumadin and must stop taking it for 5 days prior to just a teeth cleaning.  Get a second opinion  and ask about getting a pro time run.  if you get up and move around well after surgery, this would help prevent a clot.  I personally would not risk  the blood thinner prior to surgery.
I agree with the other ladies....I would seek a second opinion to ensure that you are not taking any unnecessary risks with the surgery. My Oncol. has me take half aspirin daily while I'm taking chemo, although I don't have any blood clot history. Maybe some aspirin could be o.k. but you should seek another opinion... or even a couple, to make sure all is well. Better to be safe......
I wish you all the best with your surgery, and hope it goes well for you...hugs...Helen...
I just had chest surgery and they started heparin injections on me pre-operatively, I found that surprising but they related they were doing it to prevent DVT's.  I do not have a history of DVT formation, I did not have any problems, because of it, but by all means ask what kind you will be on.  

Good luck with your surgery.

Marie
dont worry, i am a nurse and we put patients on blood thinners routinely 2 or 3 days prior to certain surgeries, better to be safe than sorry i say, you won't bleed to death in theatre they make sure of that!
Thank you soooo much for the replies! I seen my primary doctor this morning and he told me this was for preventative reasons - one of them was I did have a DVT after my last surgery. He said they will take good care of me during surgery and for me to stop worrying. It was just shocking to hear blood thinners BEFORE surgery - I never heard of this before.

Again, thank you so much! You all are angels! :-)
Did they check your blood clotting time?  I would think a blood clot would be more worrisome at this point.  Ask questions and insist on the answers until you understand.Good luck I will be 4 days behind you.  My back is killing me the past three days.  The uterus has fallen another inch out of me I think.  I will be glad to get rid of it. After reading about ovarian cancer I have decided hormones be damned I am having them out too.  Then its one less cancer to worry about!
Oh oops I just spotted your last post......sounds good! :)
Hi madge!

They are checking my clotting time tomorrow. Tomorrow I go in for pre-testing at the hospital. I can't believe tomorrow it will be a week before surgery! YIKES! I tell ya, I am scared!

I hear you about one less cancer to worry about! This is the way I've been thinking too! I'm not doing hormones after the surgery either. I think I can live with hot flashes. Anything is better than the constant worrying!

It has got to be the falling uterus that is causing your pain. I mean if it's gotten worse than I would think that's what causing it.
Hi I take coumadin and whenever I am going in for surgery they take me off of it about 5 days before and put me on low molecular weight heparin through injections. I also have a history of clots, but have been told that low molecular weight heparin is safe.
I just had e mails from two in hystersisters and they both told me that they were past menopause too and had ovaries out and there was no change at all.exactly what her doctor told the one......so thats a relief to me...I have pelvic ultrasound Thirsday and pre op Tues...Fev 5th is my Super Tuesday LOL.........I will be thinking of you this week...as soon as you are feeling up to it post for me to see how you are.however sitting at computer can hurt I think...well it does me now hahaha ...I am sitting on my uterus though...you will be great and feel so much better when your all healed up.  I know how you feel though I feel the same way...better when its done and over with....Take Care! Best of Luck! God Bless! ;)
Hi - You are right about the heparin being safe. I think this is what he wants to put me on. I heard Lovenox - which I believe is heparin. I will know more tomorrow when I see him. Giving myself injections aren't going to go to well for me though - lol.
Super Tuesday! LOL! Good one!

I sent you a PM and told you more of what's going on with me. Sent you my email address too.
I just found out at my pre-op appt. on Monday that I WON'T be given blood thinners before the surgery. It will be AFTER surgery. He said it will be injections, so I am assuming it will be Lovenox. I only hope I won't be sent home having to give myself the injections - I just can't do it! LOL!