Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
Bowel Obstruction
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Bowel Obstruction

Doctor,

Referring to your answer:  

I was diagnosed ovarian cancer stage IV, 3 years and half ago.
First surgery was only exploratory as they couldn't do anything. Then chemo: Cisplatinum+Taxol. Second surgery: optimal debulking. After it chemo again: another round of Cisplatinum+Taxol and then Taxol alone for maintenace. Then first recurrence: bowel obstruction. Third surgery: exploraty only as they found out massive peritoneal metastases (microscopic disease).Chemo took care of it: another round of Cisplatinum+Taxol. Then second recurrence: again bowel obstruction. Chemo took care of it once more: Caelix. Then Topotecan due to a rising CA125 while on Caelix. That's when liver metastases showed on CT. Now, what seems to be my third bowel obstruction but this time while on chemo, Avastin+Endoxan (it took care of my liver metastases and tumor next to the iliac artery, though). I've started new chemo: Carboplatin+Gemzar once every 3wks, 2nd cycle finishes wednesday, bowel obstruction still persits. Some good signs nevertheless: did feces twice, no vomiting. My abdomen is not distended. Last CA125=140 (before chemo's 2nd cycle) from 148.

I'm now starting to think that I might have some adhesions from my last surgery which are the cause of the bowel obstruction since my CA125 was around 600 for the other two recurrences and now is just 140. Moreover, my abdomen was "stiff" and I didn't have gas like have been having now, nor I ever felt the intestines moving like I do now. Nothing on CT & Xray.

What is your opinion: adhesion or cancer? Surgery or keep on chemo?