Ovarian Cancer Community
Brown discharge after hysterectomy??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Brown discharge after hysterectomy??

Hi Ladies... I appologize first off, if this is way too much information but I'm freaking myself out about something and can't find answers anywhere. I woke up this morning and discovered I had quite a bit of brown discharge in my underwear. I went to the bathroom, and there was a large amount of it when I wiped. I didn't panic too much, but wondered what it could be seeing as I had my hysterectomy (TAH/BSO) almost 2.5 years ago. When I went to the bathroom again, I noticed a small surgical clip on the toilet paper...trust me, I went flying out the door to emerg - a little melodramatic, sure, but I thought my whole insides were coming undone! The doc there really wasn't concerned but I insisted he do a pelvic exam and take a closer look. He was alarmed at all of the discharge, but didn't think it was "old blood", but rather an infection of some sort. He put me on an anti-biotic and sent me home. Does this sound right to you? I'm not having any pelvic pain or discomfort, no fever or nausea, and the discharge is completely odorless. I've never had anything like this in my life...I also find it a little odd that a surgical clip could make it's way out after that long. I am on Avastin (which has been known to cause bowel perforations) and I also know I have a large tumor attached to the top of my vaginal cuff. Any chance this could be related to that? I just find it suspicious that I have this discharge and this clip come out at the same time.
Sorry for all the graphic stuff...I just feel really uneasy about him sending me home so quickly...
Becky
Hi Tybear,
I'm no expert, but I'd think that the discharge you're concerned about is related to that clip you found. Your insides probably got hot and bothered by it!

I'm two and a half years past my mastectomy, and two months ago I had to have a surgeon remove a nylon stitch that surfaced on my scar. So, these things happen, I guess.

Good luck!
Kathy
Did you or the e.r. contact your oncologist? That clip thing is unusual. Usually the brown is old blood. Could the clip gave scratched something in the process of exiting? If so, the antibiotic might be good. I would call my onc clinic,  if possible and let them know. They might have more insight Hope you are better soon.  Donna
the body will always reject a foreign object if it can, a surgical clip coming out  along with the discharge makes me think there is a connection. No temp?  No pain?  would they suggest a vaginal suppository to cleanse the vagina and cervix?  Remember what we heard about the chemo causing  toxins to be discharged  with chemo?  Becky I am sure you are very concerned over this, hopefully it is just a minor happening and nothing to get too worried about. if you can get a sample of the discharge and have it analized for content. You do not want it to be fecal material, in case of a fistula,   marty
Thanks for your responses everyone... Everything has stopped for now and I'm really suspecting it was just my insides trying to get rid of that clip. I'm still a little perplexed as to how a clip could work it's way out like that (seeing as everything would have been closed up from the inside of my stomach) but it's over, and I can relax once again. I'm not going to fill that prescription for the antibiotic...I just don't feel like it was an infection and I don't want to take those things if I don't have to. On a curious note, I have those urine test strips (because of my oh-so-many UTI's) and when I put some of the discharge on it, it immidiately came up as blood...hmmm? I'm still going to mention it to my oncologist but I don't think it's anything major I need to worry about.
Thanks again,
Becky
Just my opinion, but I really don't think you should dismiss this as nothing quite yet.  At least give a call to your surgeon or your oncology team.  Just as a precautionary consult.....I would hate for it to end up being something you "should have" done something about.  Just my two cents.
Peace.
dian
I will add my two cents to Dian's. I agree that a call to the surgeon and or the oncologist would be more safe. It can't hurt. We just worry about infection, etc. Take care. I am sorry you had to have this happen. Marie
Glad you are feeling better, but I do agree with the others....put a call in to your onc. team.  An ounce of prevention.....Love Judie :)
Hey, you aren't supposed to have things falling out of you especially things that shouldn't be in there in the first place.  If you had an infection it would be no wonder with a foreign object like that.  H*ll, I would see another Dr to make sure you don't have anything else in there.  I don't want to give you anymore to worry about Becky, but honestly honey, if they could leave one clip they could leave something else.  Was it supposed to be left in there?  I don't know anything about clips.  Please tell me that it isn't something they are supposed to leave in you!!!