Ovarian Cancer Community
C-125

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

C-125

Hi:
I just was wondering if anyone has have any experience with an elevated C 125 but no ovarian cancer? My sister has an ovarian cyst and her c 125 came back elevated 68 is the number. Her Gyn. apparently told her that if the c 125 is elevated ans there is a cyst is a bad sign.
I would appreciate anyone who would like to share her story either good or bad.

Liss
Many times the ca125 can be elevated due to cysts and other pelvic distrubances.  Also, it is not a reliable test for premenopausal women.
~Tascha
Found this on the National Ovarian Cancer Coalition's website..
www.ovarian.org

Not all women with elevated CA 125 levels have ovarian cancer. CA 125 levels may also be elevated by cancers of the uterus, cervix, pancreas, liver, colon, breast, lung, and digestive tract. Noncancerous conditions that can cause elevated CA 125 levels include endometriosis, pelvic inflammatory disease, peritonitis, pancreatitis, liver disease, and any condition that inflames the pleura (the tissue that surrounds the lungs and lines the chest cavity). Menstruation and pregnancy can also cause an increase in CA 125. Michael W. Method, MD, MPH
Chair - NOCC BOARD

Unfortunately, short of an actual biopsy, we don't have anything that is concretely able to indicate ovca.  How long has your sister been showing symptoms?
peace,
Anne
Bad story:  my CA-125 was 109.  My doc said he didn't think it was cancer because if it is, he's seen it in the 2000 range.  At first I believed him, and then things got much worse w/in 2 months and as it turns out I have advanced uterine cancer that had spread to my ovaries and caused masses to form. I was going by the things I read that other things cause elevated CA-125 in perimenopausal women and it's not reliable, but in my case, I think my doc was not good and should have known or had more tests done.  Oh, and at time of surgery CA-125 was 660 or so.  

I guess the lesson here is, if above the normal 35? I'd be concerned, but that's only my experience.  

Thanks ladies for your replies. My sister, whi is 39 years old, no children and never's been married,  has always had problems with severe cramps before her periods but in the past year it got worse. She went to the Gyn last week and the u/s shows a large cyst in one ovary and yesterday her c 125 came back elevated but she had her period when she went for the test so maybe that could be the reason why it was high. She had no idea that periods can raise the results. All in our family are very concerned. She will have surgery and the Doc. said she is likely to loose her ovary due to the large cyst. We are prarying for a good outcome. Thanks again for your replies.
Liss