Ovarian Cancer Community
CA 125

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

CA 125

My daughter in law has had breast cancer twice (at 26 and 31) and had a double mastectomy the last time. She is now 41 (has the BRCA 1) She told me she went to the doctor in September with some irregular bleeding and left sided pain, had an ultrasound that showed a 9 cm cyst (not sure what kind). In October they sent her to a GYN for a consult as she had asked for a hysterectomy and she actually had to explain to this doctor her past history when he asked her why. (he had reviewed her ultrasound). The CA 125 was 74.5 and she is going to see a GYN oncologist in Jan. I am a nurse and have been crying everyday. Is that too long to wait? I wish I didn't know so much sometimes. Is the fact that her uterus was normal and the cyst didn't seem to concern the docs( obviously) a sign that nothing looked too unusual. My son is military and they have to get referred for everything. I realize there is no crystal ball but I am so scared. She is such a beautiful person and has done much better than I would have after all she has been through already. Any insight appreciated.
I was misdiagnosed for six years with bleeding throwing up and diaphragm spasms and severe weight loss. I am also BRCA 1. The good news is BRCA 1 responds to chemo better than the general population of cancer patients. That is why Doctors like to hear you are BRCA 1. My CA 125 was 293 and is now 11. Some get into the 1000s. I am doing well after being so sick. Other things besides cancer can elevate a CA125 so lets hope it is something else or they catch it in an early stage. I have MS and Cancer and I have learned their are always exceptions to the rules. My MS and Cancer have worked out better than they imagined. I seem to come out on top even with the bad genes. Also the surgery for this was not as bad as mastectomies. I had very little problems even though they had to keep me a week. Gas was my only pain. She may even have the Galileo surgery. My Doctor had me at a surgeon the next day and they had me in surgery in days because they could see how advanced I was. May be the Doctors do not see anything as scary as they did with me.

Alex
Thank you for sharing your story. I know there is always hope but the waiting is what is hard. I think the automatic reaction is to say hurry up and do this. She lives 3000 miles away from me and that makes it even harder. Her mom passed rather young as did her grandmother (from Breast CA) so I feel like I should be there. Thanks for letting me ramble.
I send you all the hope for your continued health and bless you for your help.

Lilli
Waiting is terrible. I am sorry for you and for her. I know you would be there.

Alex