Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
CA125 and endometriosis
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

CA125 and endometriosis

Hi - please could you advise what would generally be considered a very high CA125 level in advanced endometriosis? I was thought to have ovarian cancer upon vaginal ultrasound but it turned out to be advanced endometriosis with a large chocolate cyst which developed in its entirity in after a hysterectomy and BSO and going on HRT for 4 years (oestradial only). The count was apparently the highest ever returned from the lab at 'well over 1000'. It could not all be 'removed safely' and I have cyclical symptoms still and can tell it is growing again. I am 53 yrs old and post menopausal. All my adult life I had horrendous symptoms at ovulation then gradually for most of second half of cycle when I was completely struck down by a sort of total brain malfunction (blurred vision, dizziness, complete short term memory loss, confusion, dysequilibrium and overwhelming head pain and fatigue - I was utterly decapacitated by it.) I also had so many infections that I was on antibiotics every 2-3 months for 20 years. Whilst taking HRT the symptoms were permanent and frankly I thought I would die but as I had a really bad ear infection that would not resolve the symptoms were thought to be due to that. It seems I might have had an autoimmune response to my own oestrogen causing these symptoms in which my body responded to oestrogen (and oestradial) as a toxin. Could this be why the CA125 was so high - my immune system had nothing left to fight the antigens with? Many thanks for any help in explaining .