Ovarian Cancer Community
CA125 decreased slowly, do we need to change chemo plan?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Dear Dr. Goodman, it is so nice to have this forums and you to answer questions from patients. my mother, 51, used to be a very healthy woman only suffering a little about hypertension, got ovarian epithelial cancer staging IC. She got the surgury and then chemo after 7 days with Carboplatin/Docetaxel (400mg/100mg per three weeks). Her CA125 before surgury was 199.3 and after first chemo it decreased only to 168.8. The white cell count decreased after first chemo to 4.1 and returned to 9.8 before the second chemo. Now she is having the second Chemo with same medicine. It seems to me that her CA125 did not decrease a lot after the surgury and the first chemo, which is really disappointing to me. Is this normal? Do we need to change the chemo plan to other medicines or stick on the current plan? Thanks for your time and I really appreciate your help.
  Just thought I'd let you know you've posted to the original Ovarian Cancer Forum. The Expert F orum can be found on the far right.. scroll down to "Related Expert Forums" . You'll be able to get the information you seek there.

Take care,
Sandy
oops,thank you for reminding me. I wanted to post and ask the doctor, but got the wrong place and posted in the same place again. Sorry about this.
Hi -- I'm on Doxil too -- the nature of that beast is that the numbers move very slowly -- the fact that they are going down instead of up first is a good sign -- mine moved down as slowly as your mom's and after 4 cycles started to rise again.  it's was too early to worry about switching but your doctor will tell you that
My mistake -- Doxitaxel is taxotere not Doxil --- so ignore my above remarks -- sorry about that -- but your doctor will know the expected rate of change -- any downward movement is a good sign
Taxotere = Docetaxel
Thanks for your comments. Take care.
Thanks for the information.