Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
CA125 normal range <21 U/ml for 18 cm muscinous or serous cyst

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

CA125 normal range &lt;21 U/ml for 18 cm muscinous or serous cyst

Hello - thank you for this forum! I have questions about a 15 cm likely benign (90% according to my surgeon, a GYN-ONC), mucinous or serous cyst my CT scan revealed. History: annual physical at my PCP's office, they  discovered a pelvic mass, ordered the CT scan, then referred me to the GYN-ONC. I've had extremely regular, normal cycles my entire life with no problems and am pre-menopausal at 44; no GYN or breast cancer in my family. GYN-ONC recommended a TAH-BSO since I'm 44. I want to keep my fertiliy/natural hormones, and understand the chances of conceiving are slim. I only consented to an RSO unless I would have a cancerous cyst. I want to ensure my other ovary is ok and the consent form states "possible TAH-BSO/possible staging"  in case I have ov cancer. The surgeon also told me it's good news that I have no fluid in my abdomen and the cyst is mobile.

First, is my CA-125 results of "23" within the normal range if the range the lab used had a cutoff of 21? My surgeon's office told me "23's a little high but it's still within the normal range." That seems to conflict with the < 21 range the lab used.

Second, I've read that CA-125 testing during menstruation can elevate results. Could testing four days before I started my next cycle (which is when I had the test) also elevate CA-125 results?

Here's what also confuses me...my CT scan didn't show my "left ovary/adnexa" whatsoever, but it stated I have an 18 cm, likely mucinous or serous cyst, which "abuts the right adnexa." I haven't found anything online that explains why my left ovary would not show up on the CT. I did request an ultrasound; the surgeon told me it's not necessary since I had the CT. Should I have an ultrasound anyway, to get a look at both ovaries? I want to make sure I have info on both ovaries before I'm in surgery.

Thanks!
Hi Frances
good questions!
Ultimately, you need your ovary out
it sounds like you are a "two-stop shopper"

It would be best to just take out that ovary and then get a final report and chat with you about it.

If the final report comes back malignant, it is perfectly safe at your age to go back and do a second surgery

most cysts are benign
really big cysts like yours are sometime hard to get a completely accurate report form the frozen section and it is best to wait for the final pathologic analysis which can take 7-10 days.

I would not put alot of stock into lab testing preoperatively. You have enough information to go to surgery.
please let up know what happens
take care