Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
CA125 normal range <21 U/ml for 18 cm muscinous or serous cyst

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Hello - thank you for this forum! I have questions about a 15 cm likely benign (90% according to my surgeon, a GYN-ONC), mucinous or serous cyst my CT scan revealed. History: annual physical at my PCP's office, they  discovered a pelvic mass, ordered the CT scan, then referred me to the GYN-ONC. I've had extremely regular, normal cycles my entire life with no problems and am pre-menopausal at 44; no GYN or breast cancer in my family. GYN-ONC recommended a TAH-BSO since I'm 44. I want to keep my fertiliy/natural hormones, and understand the chances of conceiving are slim. I only consented to an RSO unless I would have a cancerous cyst. I want to ensure my other ovary is ok and the consent form states "possible TAH-BSO/possible staging"  in case I have ov cancer. The surgeon also told me it's good news that I have no fluid in my abdomen and the cyst is mobile.

First, is my CA-125 results of "23" within the normal range if the range the lab used had a cutoff of 21? My surgeon's office told me "23's a little high but it's still within the normal range." That seems to conflict with the < 21 range the lab used.

Second, I've read that CA-125 testing during menstruation can elevate results. Could testing four days before I started my next cycle (which is when I had the test) also elevate CA-125 results?

Here's what also confuses me...my CT scan didn't show my "left ovary/adnexa" whatsoever, but it stated I have an 18 cm, likely mucinous or serous cyst, which "abuts the right adnexa." I haven't found anything online that explains why my left ovary would not show up on the CT. I did request an ultrasound; the surgeon told me it's not necessary since I had the CT. Should I have an ultrasound anyway, to get a look at both ovaries? I want to make sure I have info on both ovaries before I'm in surgery.

Thanks!
Hi Frances
good questions!
Ultimately, you need your ovary out
it sounds like you are a "two-stop shopper"

It would be best to just take out that ovary and then get a final report and chat with you about it.

If the final report comes back malignant, it is perfectly safe at your age to go back and do a second surgery

most cysts are benign
really big cysts like yours are sometime hard to get a completely accurate report form the frozen section and it is best to wait for the final pathologic analysis which can take 7-10 days.

I would not put alot of stock into lab testing preoperatively. You have enough information to go to surgery.
please let up know what happens
take care
Chemotherapy Tracker
Chemotherapy Tracker
Ovulation Tracker
Ovulation Tracker