Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
CA125 rising - risk of recurrence - Many questions!
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

CA125 rising - risk of recurrence - Many questions!

Dear Dr. Goodman,
I had an appointment with you in 1998 when I was first diagnosed with stage III ovarian cancer (CA125 was 1,147 then). I consider myself extremely lucky: it's been almost 13 years and I'm still counting! I was free of disease for almost 10 years until it came back in 2008 - in the form of a cyst on my liver. I had surgery (late 2008) and chemotherapy (spring of 2009) again, both of which were successful.
However, since early 2010 my CA125 has been going up steadily: 15 (feb), 31 (july), 66 (oct), 100 (dec), it is now at 127! My doctor and I are concerned; but she's right in saying that she will not treat a number - until we have some evidence that the disease is back. So I have many questions for you - and I hope you will find the time to answer them (at some point):
1. Is there any possibility that even though my CA125 is going up the cancer is not coming back?
2. I have had 3 CT-scans in the past year (just one recently) which have showed no signs of recurrence: no tumours. My doctor wants to do more CT-scans just to keep an eye on what's happening, but a concern is radiation (I have had 13 CT-scans altogether since 1999) and the possibility of secondary cancer from that. Should I be concerned about that?
3. The hospital here will not do MRI's but there is a possibility that I may pay for an MRI elsewhere - should I do that instead of the CT-scans?
4. Finally: if and when my cancer recurs, will they try the same (taxol+carboplatyn) mix? Are there any new treatments out there to treat recurrence? Can we really begin to think of ovarian cancer as a chronic disease that may be contained - or is that just an illusion?
Thanks again for your wisdom and generosity!