Ovarian Cancer Community
CAT scan/ultrasound results

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

CAT scan/ultrasound results

Over the past few months I have had lower left quadrant abdominal pain, indigestion, gas, lower back pain, etc.  My doctor thought it was GI related, maybe IBS.

17th day of my cycle: pelvic U/S along with upper abdominal U/S showed "normal immature follicular structures bilaterally," both ovaries well within normal size.  

20th day of my cycle, 3 days after the U/S, I had an abd. CAT scan w/o IV contrast but with barium.  No diverticulosis/ diverticulitis but "some cysts" on my ovaries and it looked like a cyst had ruptured as there was some fluid.  My doct thought maybe this was the cause of the pain.  When I reminded him the pain was ongoing, he thought maybe ovarian cysts plus something GI related was going on, and he wants me to follow up with the GI doc.

But why did they not see these cysts three days earlier on the ultrasound?   Did I just ovulate and have a burst cyst in between those few days?  I ovulated later than I would have thought, and I started menstruating on day 26, 6 days after the CAT scan.

My doctor was not AT ALL concerned about the ovarian cysts, and I do not think there were any worrisome characteristics of them on the CAT scan - the radiologist did not report anything "abnormal" about them.  Should I be concerned?  Get more testing?

History of breast cancer, age 32, 2002, no BRCA testing yet.  In August '05 I had a transvaginal U/S that was negative.  About two years ago I had a complex ovarian cyst on CAT scan in the middle of my cycle that they did not see on TVUS about 3 weeks later.  

Thanks so much for any help you can offer!
Hi, I did not see my gynecologist at all for this, as my primary care physician thought it was all related to gastrointestinal stuff.

When I had the tranvasginal ultrasound in August, it was more related to frequent urination I was having at the time that has not come back since then.  

I have had many cysts over the years, I don't really know if there are all different types or all the same or what that means.  I am just confused about the CAT scan and why no one seems very concerned about it.  Does that mean from the CAT scan that they look like cysts and are probably benign?  When I asked my PCP (who I've known for 12 years and is usually quite good) if I should follow-up, he said he didn't see why I needed to as they were some cysts.  

I could definitely follow-up with my GYN, it just will probably take a while to get all the appointments, and probably at least another month for the TV U/S, because right now I am in the time of my cycle when I would get one, and so it will have to wait until next month by the time I get all the appontments.  So I am looking for some peace of mind or understanding of what might be going on until then.

Thanks!

Lori
Mary, thank you so much.  I will definitely follow up with the GYN.

Lori