Ovarian Cancer Community
CAUSES OF CA125 ELEVATION-PLEASE READ

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

CAUSES OF CA125 ELEVATION-PLEASE READ

I don't want to scare anyone, but I felt it necessary to share my personal story with you all. My level has been slightly elevated for 4 months. My gyn/onc determined nothing was wrong in that area, but was concerned about my melanoma spreading. She ordered a CT scan and I have a mass in my lung. I'm awaiting further instructions. I'm sharing this with you all because I was advised the CA125 can be elevated for other cancers too, such as colon and/or lung. My melanoma doctors still don't believe this is why mine was elevated, but luckily I had a gyn/onc that was persistent and wanted me to have other tests to find out why the CA125 was elevated. I'm thankful for that. Please continue your search for the cause of the elevation and do necessary tests to rule out the bad stuff. It can be elevated for other cancers besides ovarian cancer. Check with your Dr.
Thanks for the heads up!  We as women must be vigilant with our health.  It is a tough lesson learned, but I am glad to know.  Information is our best weapon (aside from prayer).  My thoughts and prayers are with you.
~Tascha
Do they think it is  a new primary or spread from the melanoma?  I know any type of lung infection(bronchitits, etc.) can cause it to be elevated.  It only makes sense that lung masses would elevate it,too.  I wish you well.  I am sorry you are having to deal with this and but thank you for your information.
Thank you for sharing. My younger sister had lung cancer, and I had also read about CA125 sometimes being elevated due to this. My CA 125 was elevating (from 37 to 95 w/in 2 months) and I specifically asked my docs about this possibility and they both said they hadn't read about this. Anyway, for some reason My CA 125 went back down (to 16) pre op and I cancelled surgery. The CA 125 is a strange and mysterious measurement, if you ask me. I hope your mass is something very treatable, like an infection, etc (which, I've read, can also elevate CA 125 level)  Take Care  Keep us posted!
My Ca 125 went from 35 to 145 in 4 months.  I have many fibroids and liver cysts, but the doctors want to keep measuring the CA 125 every few months.  Sometimes benign conditions also cause that to elevate.  I had a CT scan of my abdomen and pelvis and a transvaginal ultra sound, which look okay.

Has anyone else had this level (without being diagosed with anything) go up and down?  

It's so hard to understand all this.

ALSO, has anyone had thyroid nodules and thyroid sugery ?????   Debbie
my friend is being treated for ovarian cancer and her inital CA count never got above 218. She had a very large  tumor removed and was diagnosed with stage III ovarian cancer. Her doctors have decided that the CA count is not a reliable source for her so they monitor that count as well as her CEA which is used alot for colon cancer, but has proved to be a better indicator for her tumor markers. I suggest you ask for additional test  because CT scans also can not detect tumors until they reach a certain size. I wish you well
mine has been elevated for several months from 22- 55.... which is weird because they say it's nothing until into the thousands, but i hear different here. i had catscan ab/pelvis/renal etc.. chest xray a month ago. just some cysts on kidney, small blood-filled (non-threatening) liver tumor... uhhhhhhh maybe some polycystic ovarian disease that has been debated as well... just gotta keep checkin & waiting & driving the self crazy lol... also, dr. says ca125 is not very important- it is the sonogram is what is the indicator. the blood test is not a diagnostic test... even though mentally torturous! lol?
I know how you feel having slightly elevated CA 125 results myself. Worrisome. It all started with a a bit of elevated pressure...well more than a bit. Separating from my hubby, divorce, kids teen stress etc. I divorced hubby...scheduled a vaginal wall repair for a rectovele and thought great! But, the batery of tests for surgery produced new reasons for concern like increased blood pressure requiring meds. Went on blood pressure med Toparol XR ( spelling?). The following year at check up for more BP meds an new set of blood test showed increase cholestorol and Hashimoto's Disease. Endicrinologist suggested considering thryroid hormone replacement, I declined until recently because of increased nodule and cyts here and there. My Gyn. because of a bit of blood in urine worsened from previous year scheduled a renal ultrasound and cystoscopy (spelling?) which showed a innocent cystaseal (spelling) which is nothing just puts a bit of blood in urine. She also asked for ultrasound of my ovaries, found a nodular suspicious cyst in one which I had removed in May 2008. Pathology called it a borderline tumor. I refused a full hysterectomy and am glad. 7 months later on routine Mamo. and breast ultrasound a nodule was found and tested this week via core biopsy. Results in now are benign, thank goodness. Personally, I think all I am experiencing is related to my Thyroid and possibly the Hashimoto's Disease. If anyone agrees or has similar thoughts, please let me know. Also, if anyone has thoughts on causes of Hashimoto and deterrents I want to know. Treating same with THyroid Hormone just seems like a poor choice if one could stop the cause. Seems just like taking antihistamines and decongestants for colds, only tereating symptoms not the cause.