Ovarian Cancer Community
CT Scan vs. Ultrasound

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

CT Scan vs. Ultrasound

does anyone have experience with the difference in what a CT Scan will reveal vs. an ultrasound?   My doctor originally told me that they'd be doing an U/S every 6 mths to monitor, but when i went for my checkup, the nurse said she'd rather do a CT scan.   She hasn't been too forthcoming re: why the switch.  My CA125 is fine (an 8) as was the pelvic exam.  I am experiencing abdominal bloating, but feel ok otherwise.

also, if anyone knows anything re: the cost difference between the two that would be really helpful (i.e. which is more expensive - i'm imagining the CT scan).  i'm thankful to have insurance, but the 20% i'm responsible for adds up quickly!

thanks in advance for any info!
You say the doctor says US and the nurse says CT,  who writes the orders?  Think you better check with the doctor first.

CT provides detailed, cross-sectional views of all types of tissue, CT is one of the best tools for studying the chest and abdomen. It is often the preferred method for diagnosing many different cancers, including lung, liver and pancreatic cancer, since the image allows a physician to confirm the presence of a tumor and measure its size, precise location and the extent of the tumor's involvement with other nearby tissue. CT examinations are often used to plan and properly administer radiation treatments for tumors, to guide biopsies and other minimally invasive procedures and to plan surgery and determine surgical resectability.

Conventional ultrasound displays the images in thin, flat sections of the body. Advancements in ultrasound technology include three-dimensional (3-D) ultrasound that formats the sound wave data into 3-D images. Four-dimensional (4-D) ultrasound is 3-D ultrasound in motion.

Ultrasound is used to help physicians diagnose symptoms such as:

* pain
    * swelling
    * infection

Ultrasound is a useful way of examining many of the body's internal organs, including but not limited to the:

* heart and blood vessels, including the abdominal aorta and its major branches
    * liver
    * gallbladder
    * spleen
    * pancreas
    * kidneys
    * bladder
    * uterus, ovaries, and unborn child (fetus) in pregnant patients
    * eyes
    * thyroid and parathyroid glands
    * scrotum (testicles)

Ultrasound is also used to:

* guide procedures such as needle biopsies, in which needles are used to extract sample cells from an abnormal area for laboratory testing.
    * image the breasts and to guide biopsy of breast cancer (see the Ultrasound-Guided Breast Biopsy page).
    * diagnose a variety of heart conditions and to assess damage after a heart attack or other illness.

Doppler ultrasound images can help the physician to see and evaluate:

* blockages to blood flow (such as clots)
    * narrowing of vessels (which may be caused by plaque)
    * tumors and congenital malformation

I hope this will help, I know I get PET/CT now where as before I was getting a PET Scan and CT scan.  The PET Scan shows where the cancer is and CT Scan shows how big the masses are.

I hope this will help you.  Good Luck!!