Ovarian Cancer Community
******CYBER PARTY******

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

******CYBER PARTY******

It's Saturday night and time to Cyber Party!  Time to set aside the loads we all carry, day to day and relax a bit.  For tonights icebreaker tell us what you told everyone you wanted to be when you were five.  I recall telling adults, who asked, that I wanted to be a Nun.  This was due to much coaching on my Irish Catholic Mom but at five I, not really understanding what a Num was, liked the idea of wearing long skirts.  Go figure!  Well I am not a Nun, and have two kids that are really glad that was only a five year olds aspiration!  Destiny had other plans for me.  So tell us a little about yourself, where you hale from etc. and, if you like, what you thought you might like to do when you grew up.  MV
Hi Mary!  Thank you so much for hosting the cyber party.  I hope you are doing well.  Believe it or not, when I was five, I told everyone that I wanted to be a teacher.  I guess I am fufilling that dream because I am a preschool teacher.  I lead teach the 3's and younger 4's two days a week, and assist in the older 4's and 5's class three days a week.  I will say that when I grow up, I want to be a nurse.  I am hoping to be able to go to nursing school in a couple of years.  It is my desire to work with cancer patients or on the maternity ward in a hospital.  I live in Indiana and I have a wonderful husband and 3 great kids.  By the way, I brought a cheesecake dip and graham sticks.  I look forward to getting into the hot tub as my back has been hurting so bad to day!!

here we go two parties in one weeks yah!!!!!

How is everyone tonight????

Just put the little one to bed and now I am off to clean and watch TV. I will be back in about an 1hrs time to check up on all of you.

Ps. I will be enjoying a nice glass of red wine and loving it!!!!!!!  could use some appetizers or somethin lol..

Where is the party girl????   hmmm I hope everything is all well and she just forgot about us lol

Angela
OH! Thanks for the reminder about DST!
Be careful driving this week, they say there are more accidents the week of the time changes!!

Anyone ever show up in church an hour late on the time change weekend?  I did that once!  Couldn't figure out why everyone was GRINNING at us (I thought, "Gee they usually aren't this friendly here") ... and the church was so full... and there were no parking spots and we had to go RIGHT to the front to get a seat!
Well, we were finished church in five minutes anyway!!  All that effort getting 3 kids ready!
Hi again,

Not too much dictation finished, but a ton of organizing. And, I am almost finished applying for that new job...

Kasie, my pain yesterday was very bad. I made an appointment for a colonoscopy but they want to do it this Thursday and frankly, I am not sure I am ready. There is a new prep and they are not sure I will find it in the pharmacies so I would have to order it and rush on Monday to the office where they want to do this and pick up my prep instructions packet...and, I have to get the day off, and Jed has to see if he can get off for the afternoon to take me in and wait for me....rush rush rush...

And, I still want to rule out Sciatica. But, if it is sciatica, wouldn't that pain happen every day? I am not having any pain today. And, Sciatica would not explain two months of my unmentionable bowel problems...

AREN'T you glad you all invited me to the party :)

Here is something on Sciatica, for those interested or could offer me some advice...
-------------------------------------------
Helpful sciatica exercises
Before reviewing specific sciatica exercises, it is first important to explain what sciatica is, as the term sciatica is often misused and its definition often misunderstood. Sciatica is a set of symptoms rather than a diagnosis in itself (meaning it does not explain the cause of the pain). Sciatica is a general term that refers to pain caused by compression or irritation of one or more nerves exiting the lower spine that make up the sciatic nerve, and there are a number of different conditions that can cause this.

The medical term for sciatica is a radiculopathy, which means that a spinal disc has extended beyond its normal position and is irritating the radicular nerve (nerve root) in the lower back, which connects with the sciatic nerve. The sciatic nerve branches off as it travels down the lower extremity through the back of the leg, and thus pain can be experienced along this route.

Active exercise is important for sciatica relief
While it may seem counterintuitive, exercise is usually better for healing sciatic pain than bed rest. Patients may rest for a day or two after their sciatica flares up, but after that time period, inactivity will usually make the pain worse. Without exercise and movement, the back muscles and spinal structures become deconditioned and less able to support the back. The deconditioning and weakening can lead to back injury and strain, which causes additional back pain. Exercise is also important for the health of the spinal discs. Movement helps exchange nutrients and fluids within the discs to keep them healthy.
Ok...most interesting party reading, I know...I know!!!! My girlfriend who is an orthopedic doctor called to say she would be happy to speak with me to go over symptoms of sciatica but we have not been able to connect. I had this in college but that was more than a few years ago and I just cannot figure out if this pain is digestive, or from something wierd growing in there (I am still upset they did not do the complete ultrasound) or if it is related to sciatica. I would say any of the three might be it.....

Going a bit crazy trying to figure this all out.

We have conferences with parents the week after next and then the week after that I go to CA for a Mother Daughter college weekend...first time for me out there!!!

Tryingt to decide what to do. Thanks for letting me vent...Going to the store quickly and then coming home to a nice cold gin and tonic...that should help!

Love, Mary
Thank God it happens on the weekend!  MV
When I was five, I wanted to be a veterinarian.  When my dad retired from the Air Force, we moved to a farm.  Talk about culture shock!!  We went from living in Hawaii to a farm in Oklahoma!  Guess time does dictate what you end up doing.  Got my BA in Advertising, and my MS in Mass Communications...but what do I do?  Administrative Officer for a federal power utility!  Not even close to my degrees!  Oh well.  

Hey Katie...remember that little hockey challenge we talked about back before the season started???  How about we take another look at that!!  Here I was all worried I'd be bottom-dwelling....but look at me now!!  LOL!  

Gail :)
Yowsa Mair,
     So does the sciatica cause lower back pain or what?  Middle age is high maintenance isn't it!
      Still want to hear what you thought you wanted to do when you were a kid.  It rarely coincides with what we actually end up doing but would be interested if you drop back with that gin & tonic in hand!  MV

P.S  I applied for another job this week too but it is not the first.  I have had offers but just have trouble giving up teaching.  If the right thing comes along, I'll know it and so will you!  
Welcome Gail!
     My almost DIL has made her first application to Vet school just last week.  Tough row to hoe but we will stand behind her.  So what's the story on hocky?  Do tell!  MV
Hope I'm not to late for the party, I'll bring some Irish coffee so we can all stay up late-but be careful we loose an hour of sleep. When I was 5 I wanted to be a cowgirl.
Thanks Mary  for bringing up the sciatic nerve, Leslee's pain right now is as she describes it in the center of her "buns"  since her scans have been clean that could be  the problem. I have been reading alot about heat killing treatments and wondered if soaking in a hot tub a couple of times a day would heat up the body enough. Asked her what temp they use, she said around 102 degrees. It's  a thought. Will tell her tomorrow.
Welcome Stretch!
     Mmmmm I love Irish coffee, whip one up for me!  It's Cyber Party and there is no such thing as late!  So having that young urge to be a Cowgirl did you ever get into horseback riding and such?  I'm a city girl and could count the number of times I have had the pleasure of riding a horse on one hand.  Just does not come up!  My husband talks about his childhood fantasy of woring on a ranch and he is a city dweller too.  Dreams are good though and sometimes they do come true.  That was the theme of our wedding, that dreams do come true.  For us, they have but even those that don't form us.  MV
that was a good typo there!!!!  was it working on a ranch  or whoring on a ranch   lol
My Nashville Predators are in first place in the league with 96 points.  Season still has a couple of weeks to go, but so far, so good!
Gail, I DO remember that, about the hockey, and I always laugh about it now!

Hi Marys/Raven and 53!

Star, I'd prefer the later ... to actually working on a ranch!!!  yee haw!!!  
My pain is similar to what I felt when I had the cysts on the other side. And, it is like a burning, stinging pain that occasionally shoots down my leg. But, it does not go into the calf/foot area as Sciatica pain can. And, when I had this in college, it did effect the "buns" so...Star, wonder if in fact this is what Leslee is suffering from. Found some good info on Sciatica by googling Exercises for Sciatica. I recall having to do some exercises in college for the pain and that helped much. Much like Pilates exercises.

Sometime I hear "gurgling" going through this area...or I get pain around the gurgling times...but, you know, there are so many nerve connections in that area. Frustrating, huh?

Since I was quite young, I wanted to go into Advertising or Public relations. And, I used to do all my girlfriend's hair, but figured I could keep my hair designer work on the side, you know! I used to write commercials when I was younger and once even sent my idea in to the company that makes Ajax tub cleaner...

So, in a way I have used the PR skills and I feel that life in general is advertising...word of mouth and all....

Off the the store..

Star, I loved your comment on that Typo!!!
Typos can be fun!  So neighbor Mary53, imagine the virtual hot tub we are all soaking in now and know that you are invited to use mine in reality anytime!  I should not have used it today but Oh Well.  Star, 102 is the perfect temp, wish I could invite Leslee to use mine but highly recommend it for whatever is sore!  MV
And mess up all our puter calandars, sounds like a mini-Y2K thing does'nt it?  MV
Welcome Angela!
     I brought buffalo wings, Mmmm my fav! and I am here just a bit distracted searching the web but will quit now as I always get the best advise from my Cysters anyway.  If a wet cast is the worst thing I have to worry about I am doing fab!  So Grace is in bed and you are cleaning, be sure to take lots of breaks for Cyber Party, the virtual hot tub is awaiting you and I will join you in a nice Cab!  MV
Hi everyone,  nice night for a party,  made some pies today, will share, Apple, Peach and Pecan.  When I was 5, my 3 brothers were 11,15,19.  Don't remember anything that I wanted to be except a friend. They were pretty scarce for me, loved school because there I was around kids. Decided to be a nurse when I was 12, after the war started and I realized men got hurt in wars. Got a job in the local hospital when I was 14, 2 hours after school each day and 8 hours on Sat and Sundays. Got paid 25 cents an hour.  But it sure did lay the groundwork for my later training.
How wet is it, if not too soaked it will dry out.  
Hi Guys!

I am acively avoiding dictation. But, I neeeed to do some so it is not hanging over me tomorrow. And, I need to complete the application process for a new job. Just looking, but feel I don't want to go on another three years so knee deep in paper work that I give up everything else in my life, which is how this is starting to feel.

Kasie, I wondered how the Bowling party went with the little ones on Friday??? You are brave. I'll bet the kids had a blast, though...

Just popping in now and then to say hello.

Mary, good luck drying out!

And hi to Angela. Say, ever since you mentioned cooking pancakes for Grace for Sunday breakfast a few weeks ago, all I can think of is Pancakes!

Love, Mary
Welcome Star!
     I will take a piece of pecan pie, geeze I love it!  Sounds like you have seen you share of history Gal!  When you talk about the war I suspect you mean Viet Nam.  I am just shy of 50 and that one was going on long before I became aware of such things to the point where I actually thought it was normal to have a war somewhere all the time.  It's not but there always is a dang war somewhere, isn't there.  Stinks!
     So star, sounds like you set your course very young and you are still caring for people to this day!  Love Ya Star, don't ever change!  MV
Nope hun, it was WW2  I am a lot older than that,  lol.  Korea was going on while I was still in college, Vietnam much later. My kids tease me, they say I was probably around during the civil war.
Thanks Star, figure I will give it till Monday to dry out and go from there.  (Gotta admit I don't regret it, that soak felt so good!)  MV
Leslee coming over tomorrow for  a family dinner, will try to get her to post a "Thank You" to you all, for all the help you have given her, through me. Heres a big slice of Pecan pie  just for you Mary. All the kids have a favorite  so I usually have to make 3 or 4   then they fight over the left overs to take home.
Mary, when I was in 7th grade, I broke my foot.  I got it wet one day in the shower.  Mom called the doctor and asked them what I should do.  He told her to get out the blow dryer and dry it as much as possible on LOW setting.  He also said it was vital NOT to scratch my let (cast came up just below my knee).  He said that with it being wet, I could get an infection form sticking something in my cast to scratch (I was using a ruler.  LOL).  I forgot to mention in my first post that I also told my parents that I wanted Dolly Parton boobs!!  My parents about died.  LOL  

Mary53, we had a great time on Friday.  The other woman that I teach with and I did not bowl.  We were kept busy keeping an eye on all of the kids.  It went really well.  NO major incidents.  One child did throw his ball in the other lane,but that was about as bad as it got.  We do it every year, and it is so much fun.  They roll the ball, and it goes so slow!!  We actually had a few balls stop on the middle of the lane.  It is turely a day I look forward to.  We will be going to the Zoo and the Indianapolis Children's Museum in May.  Those field trips are ALOT of fun.  Thanks for asking.  By the way, how is your pain?  I hope it is better!!

Star, I have been thinking of you and your daughter all day long.  I read a post earler on here that you all think your daughter is having a reaccuance?  I just want you to know that I will be praying for you both.  
Talking about bowling brings back many fun times when I was working with the adults with disabilities. Our city has a bolwing alley that opens up on Sat morning just for them, we have any where from 100 to 150 show up each time, we supervise and help them and have a blast. But now the roller skating times were alot different, I usually got stuck with the great big guys and spent more time falling then I did skating. I worked with Special Olympics for many years, training them first and then the actual day. I always say every person should get to attend one Special Olympics day in their lives just to see how hard these people try. The wheel chair events are so great.  
Hey there,
    Kasie I am LOL as my daughter had the blow dryer going as I read your post!
     I can just picture the little ones in the bowling alley!  Did you get those great inflatable gutter blockers?  I loved those things when I took the kids to the alley when they were young!  Truth is, I needed those as much as they did!  So how did the folks in the next lane react when the "extra" ball showed up in their lane?  MV
Hey Ladies...
I brought MOLSON CANADIAN BEER and Cheezies!
(so healthy)

I desperately wanted to be a stewardess!  Naturally, my father said "NO daughter of mine is going to be a flying waitress" and he promptly enrolled me in University AND chose all my courses!  Good grief.

Years and years later, in my mid 30s, when Dr Chris Northrup says many of us have a mid life crisis, I did an intensive weekend of testing to determine what job I had the best apptitude for.  Guess what??? STEWARDESS!!!!

Maybe I could make the news and be the oldest (and most pathetic) woman to ever apply!!!
Yeah but who would teach all those little Canadian Kids the martial Arts?  Destiny usually takes us where we are suppose to be my friend!  Welcome Katie!  MV
Day light savings time tonight   will take me 2 hours to set all the darn clocks in my house   lol
Welcome Kasie!
     I can almost picture you with those little darlings!  Careful, teaching is addictive and may be hard to give up but the thing about teaching is if you have the drive and talent for it, there are opportunities to teach everywhere!  I never thought I'd end up doing it but admit I am totally hooked!  Good thing my students over the years tell me I am good at it.  Never dreamed I'd be doing what I do but glad I am.  The classroom is my happy place!
     So future nurse, while I wait for this party to get off the ground I am searching the web to see what I should do about a wet cast.  As you know, I broke my ankle and have a fiberglass cast with, I guess, a cotton lining.  Well Frank tempted me today and having a multitude of sore spots from the ankle-breaking incident, I agreed and went in the actual hot tub.  He double bagged my cast but, you guessed it, still got water in it and now the liner is wet.  What do I do?  My ankle is fine but should I go to the clinic on Monday and confess or what?  MV
good night ladies   Bless you all  I was kinda down today and now I feel very up.   We are going to have a family pic taken tomorrow with all here but the AZ kids.  Will go soak in my garden tub with the jets on, and drink my glass of wine.