Ovarian Cancer Community
CYSTS, BACK PAIN & ADENOMYOSIS

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

CYSTS, BACK PAIN & ADENOMYOSIS

Hi-
I am 49, one young son, battling chronic back pain, bloating, exhaustion and abdomenal (abdominal) tenderness on left side.  Ultrasound showed abnormal endometrium, abnormal left ovary with complicated cyst and small cyst along uterine fundus.  Extended stomach and tenderness persisted so doc recommended a MRI with results of a 4.2 adnexal cyst with tiny cysts within on left ovary; peritoneal cysts at the uterine body and thickened junctional zone with several high intensity foci at the fundal region suggesting adenomyosis. Fluids are present surrounding the uterus as well as between the uterine segment and bladder. Small amount of fluid in the right adnexa.   No fibroids or endometriosis; not in menopause yet and CA125, hormone panel, CBC and pap were fine. Pathology report notes hyperplasia without atypia. I was without a period for 8 months, then prolonged, excessive bleeding for 2 cycles (40 days) and spotting has since returned this week.  The back pain and exhaustion are overwhelming and I'm getting rather depressed at not being myself plus I really hurt.  Is 'monitoring' the situation helpful or do these symptoms pose more worry?  Thanks for any advice.
1 Comment
Hi sparky911,
I am 42 with 5 children, 3 biological and 2 step-sons.  I have adenomyosis and was told the only CURE is hysterectomy or wait until menopause and it will go away.  My doc has been doing ablations for 13 years and now teaches other doc's how to perform them at Yale.  I decided to have the Novasure ablation with hysterscope, and D&C.  I am now 3 days post-op and doing great.  I was dealing with very heavy bleeding with severe pain.  Lots of low back pain since my uterus is tipped.  I had been bleeding this month since 8/3 and it didn't stop until 8/23.  I preferred to have this surgery because it is much less invasive with a much shorter recovery time than a full hysterectomy.  I have a 75% chance of little to no bleeding and little to no pain.  I just am not ready at all to have the hysterectomy even though we are done having children.  I also have cysts every month, which are quite painful, but they are functional cysts which resolve themselves on their own, and require no intervention.  I cannot take any type of hormone therapy due to horrible migraines that are triggered by hormones.  I would look at your options.  Ablation does not work for everyone, but I felt it was a great option for me.  If you really want the hysterectomy and your doc is recommending that then go for it.  My doc said it was a last resort for me.  I am very happy with my decision, and remain hopeful to have a great outcome.  I hope that you find some relief and get what is best for you.  I wish you the best and am here if you need a friend to talk to.
alicia