Ovarian Cancer Community
Calcified Tumor
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Calcified Tumor

I was wondering what it means when an ovarian tumor has calcified.  Does it make my prognosis better?
Related Discussions
3 Comments
Blank
135691_tn?1271100723
I have just been informed by my doctor that my ovarian cancer (two tumors in my pelvis) has "encapsulated themselves in a hard calcified shell". In his opinion, he thinks this is good. He told me that it's the bodies way of "taking care of business", so to speak. I guess the body knows it's not supposed to be there, so it's put up a barrier around it, to prevent it from growing and spreading. I'm not sure what this means for my prognosis, however. I am currently doing chemo, and when I asked him how would we know if what's inside of the shell is alive or dead, he said they don't know. If my oncologist thinks this is a good thing, then I guess I'll go with it!
Becky
Blank
Becky, have they suggested surgery to remove it.  I know on the JH board, one lady has been controlling her MPSC with surgeries.  It seems if its encapsulated it might make it easier to remove.  Anyway, take care.

Blank
135691_tn?1271100723
It makes sense to me! I've mentioned it before, but my doctor's don't know a whole lot about MPSC, and they are in the mindframe that surgery is jumping the gun, so to speak. I just don't know what they expect now though...if it's in a hard shell, it's not going to shrink. I may be switching over to anti-estrogen therapy soon, and getting off this clinical trial - we are going to talk about it at my next appointment. I'm also going to ask for a surgery consult - I can't see the harm in at least going to talk to someone about it, especially if I no longer continue with the trial.
I check the JH board often...not much out there on MPSC, that's for sure!
Take care,
Becky
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Ovarian Cancer Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank