Ovarian Cancer Community
Can Ultrasound tell the difference between Ovarian cysts and tumors???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Hi its me again.  I just got the results of my ultrasound.  I have a 5cm cyst inside my right ovary.  The pathologist or whoever views these things recomended just watching it and do another US in 7 months.  MY family doctor said for my own peace f mind he was sending me to a gyno to talk about having both my ovary and Uteris removed.  He also said the US showed no fluid anywhere and the that the cyst was not just fluid but other matter too.  I'm guessing it's a complex cysts??/ anyway I wanto know wah the chances are of it being cancer or becoming cancer.  i currently have no syptoms (symptoms) any more, the odd cramp here and there that feels better the more active I am, but the baller thing is good, but will probably come back before and during my period.  I have a few questions in one.  cna they grow fast?/what happens if it bust, cna it bust the ovary??/ how fast should i persue to get this thing out???  PLEASE give me some advice or some medical insight.  AM out of the woods or not???  HELP!!
If it is definitely a cyst, there is much less to worry about. However, if it has both liquid and solid components it becomes more worrisome. I'd go to the gyno. to have it checked out. Seven months seems like  along time to wait on it.
OK, yes, cysts can grow quickly.  Yes, cysts can rupture, spilling their contents into your abdomen, thus causing pain and possibly an infection.    In my case, my rapidly growing endometrioma (a type of blood and solid mixed cyst) damaged the ovary  by crushing it out of shape.

My suggestion is to get that second opinion from a gyn and get more complete information on your condition.  Why does your family doctor believe that a cyst, even a complex one, justifies a complete hysterectomy?  The gyn can help you with that decision.