Ovarian Cancer Community
Can a fibroid disguise underlying ovarian cancer?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

I'm in my early 40's diagnosed with a fibroid tumor, which has grown in size and is now as large as a grapfuit. I have rapidly worsening symptoms of right lower pelvic pain (always right side), bloating, diarrhea and bleeding in-between menstrual cycles. My doctor took biopsy of the fibroid, which came back normal. However, I'm concerned about the symptoms and terrified that the fibroid may mask something worse in the right ovary. Am I imagining the worst? What should I do?
Did the doctor do a hysterectomy on you? I guess I don't fully understand how they got a biopsy and you still feel unsure about whether you have something "worse"? Can you give us more information to help explain your fear? All your symptoms are normal for a fibroid that large.
Thanks, Teresa! No hysterectomy was performed. The biopsy (or some sort of sample) was taken from the mass in the uterus (aka the fibroid), not even local anesthesia was performed. All I was told is that the result is normal. What disturbs me is the rapid change in symptoms, more frequent bleeding, digestion problems and the distinctive pain at the lower right side. I've had the fibroid for 2 years now and no problem, however these symptoms just started in the last 2-3 months and rapidly increasing. When the doctor performed the ultrasound, she did say that she can't even see the ovaries, because the fibroid is such a mass that she cannot get "underneath" it. I'm relieved to hear that the fibroid can produce these same symptoms.
Thanks for your comment!
I had absolutely no symptoms from fibroids except horribly heavy bleeding with periods. Your symptoms are much more normal than mine were.

I have an interesting story about my fibroids.  I had them for more than 10 years.  They came and went, growing/shrinking from time to time.  I switched to a vegan diet for 9 years, and it helped the excessive bleeding immediately.  BUT!  When I got into my mid-fifties, the fibroids started dissolving, giving off a mild discharge.  It was this discharge that made me go to my doctor and have it checked out, just to be on the safe side.  

He referred me to a gynecologist, who did an ultrasound and found something kinda fishy.  So, I immediately had a laparoscopy, which found early ovarian cancer.  

Was I lucky to have fibroids!  If I hadn't, the ovarian cancer would not have been detected early.  Thank goodness for them.

Good luck with yours.  It's always best to be ultra-safe.  Glad my doctor was!