Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
Can a hemorrhagic cyst be misdiagnosed

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Can a hemorrhagic cyst be misdiagnosed

Im not really sure if this qualifies as a good question for this forum, but here goes. For the last 6-8 months I have been having severe curl up and a ball and cry pain and bleeding after sex and during my periods the pain is really severe too, and they seem to be a lot heavier I go through a box and a half of tampons. I finally I make an appointment with my obgyn and she said my cervix looked to be infected she cultured for std's and hpv. STD's came back negative hpv still hasnt came back she puts me on flagyl in the meantime and set me up for an ultrasound.
The ultrasound was very painful as was the pelvic exam. Its 3 days later and Im still hurting badly. My ultrasound report came back that I have a 2.6cm hemorrhagic cyst on my right ovary with no free fluid. Now what I dont understand is everything Ive read about this says pain is minor and no treatment is needed.Pain is only on one side. My pain is so bad I lay in a hot bath for an hour, take advil 1000mg twice a day for pain and it doesnt touch it. My pain is from my pubic bone all the way up to my breasts, and its all over my abdomin (abdomen) not just on one side. So does that sound like a hemorrhagic cyst or could there be something else going on they havnt checked for?
Hi There,
good question

hemorrhagic cyst means a little bubble (cyst) with fluid in it that looks thicker than water. Blood products have a denser appearance on ultrasound. Ultrasonographers are pretty good at  correctly describing this type of cyst.

the most common hemorrhagic cyst is the cyst after ovulation. the trauma of an egg pushing through the lining of the ovary causes bleeding. This resolves by the next menstrual cycle.
Ovulation can be painful and some women have significant pain with ovulation each month. This is called "Mittelschmerz"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mittelschmerz

Pain that is persistent through the menstrual cycle or is worse with periods is unlikely to be Mittelschmerz.

Your symptoms are fairly classic for endometriosis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endometriosis

this is a very common reason for hemorrhagic cysts.

Usually once infection and abnormal pap smears are sorted out, the next step is to try birth control pills to suppress the menstrual cycles.

Your doctor is taking good care of you and is doing the right diagnostic evaluation
bets wishes