Ovarian Cancer Community
Can an ovarian cyst turn cancerous

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Can an ovarian cyst turn cancerous

To Annekathryn Goodman, M.D.

I am a 50 year old woman with a aneochoic simple cyst on my left Ovary measuring 3.2 * 1.4 * 2.0 cm.

It said on my TVS that my left ovary was slightly bulky measuring 3.7 * 1.9 * 2.0 cm.
Right ovary was 1.9 * 1.2 * 1.5 cm and was OK.
I am peri-menopausal.

First of all what is the average size of the ovaries. I thought they were about 3cm in length.

Secondly can this turn cancerous. My mother died of OVCA age 44.

Also what does a pre-cancerous cyst looklike?

I live in the UK and am finding it difficult getting answers from my doctors. We still live in the dark ages where Docs don't like telling women if they have cancer. Are they hiding something from me? My mother died of OVCA in 1976 and they never told her she had cancer, just that it was an ovarian cyst.

Frances
You know what......if I were you I would request a referral to a gyn/oncologist and if I was refused I would make my own appointment !  I would be alarmed by any ovarian cyst or issue with a history like yours.
I realize your cyst isn't large enough to warrant removal.....however,.I would think your history might.  
Did they run any other tests?
At the very least,  you should consider getting a second opinion.  Please be proactive with your health....find a doctor who answers your questions....someone you can talk openly with and can trust.  Nobody has the right to keep secrets from you when it comes to your health.
Please do let us know how things are going.
Peace.
dian
I have been to see a gyn/oncologist, and am due for Surgery on 13th Oct. It is him who will NOT tell me. He said that until he does a biopsy he will not know for sure. He must have an idea? I guess he is keeping the truth from me. My father said when mother had cancer, her surgeon decided not to tell her as it would 'FREAK HER OUT'. I know things have moved on from 1976, but isn't it a womans right to know.

My GP doesn't think it is cancer. I am worried sick I might have the big C, and want someone to tell me I don't have it.

I hope DR Anna answers my question as I am in limbo, wondering what if maybe.
OVCA is the most scary disease anyone can get.
This is not the forum to post questions to Dr. Goodman.  You need to scroll down and on the right side of the page, toward the bottom,  you will see where you need to go.
Your gyn/oncologist is not lying or hiding information from you.  Indeed, it is not possible to determine if a growth is malignant  or not until a biopsy is done and that is done during a surgical procedure.
Peace.
dian
I tried to post on the experts forum, but it will not let me. Its saying at least 3 questions have been asked today. Every time I try to post, it says the same thin. I guess I cannot post there as I am outside North America, and looking through the posts they are all from NA. I keep on trying to post but get the same message