Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
Can an ovarian tumor cause SEVERE lower, night-time back pain?

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Because of recent lower back pain, I had an MRI:
1) worsening of my degenerative disk disease
2) abnormal signal intensity between L4 & L5 – suspicious of Diskitis
    o  negative CRP & ESR
3)  incidental finding of large (>7 cm) ovarian cysts, multiloculated, bilaterally – suspicious for possible solid areas
    o  Had transvag u/s
    o  Tumor markers, while not "negative" didn't concern my GYN

I have an ovarian tumor (unsure if benign or malignant) on left ovary.  I'm having surgery on 10/5 (tomorrow) to remove tumor & ovary & to have biopsies done. (surgery will be performed by my new GYN, NOT a GYN/ONC)  I think that the odds are in my favor that it will be benign, but of course I still have some concerns that is could be malignant.  

My problem is that while I'm thankful that the tumor was found and they are being aggressive about it, I'm still in horrendous pain at night from the lower back pain.  Could an ovarian tumor such as I described - malignant or benign - be the culprit for such pain?

more info:
Severe lower back pain:  has gotten progressively worse over last 2 – 3 months;   with the past 2- 3 weeks really affecting sleep, pain with sneezing, etc.
      o Mostly VERY low-back:  radiating to hips; very recently radiates to mid-back (~7 days)
      o Much worse at night – cannot turn over; keeps me awake or wakes me up
      o Sneezing makes me (literally) fall to floor
      o Have lost control of bladder 3 times in past month

Degenerative disk disease was diagnosed a few years ago.  So I’ve had severe back pain before, but not this type, severe, or at night – usually relieved by rest or laying down.  'm hoping that perhaps the tumor is leaning on a nerve in there or something & the surgery will help. .

My back pain seems to have been put on the back burner and I'm not sure what to do.  It has become unbearable.
Does anyone have any suggestions, or similar stories?  What does "abnormal signal intensity" mean?

Thanks in advance,
amy
Hi There,
it may be that you have a mixed pain picture. Any extra pressure from the ovarian cyst will make your back pain worse.The only way to know is to see how you are postop. I agree with Zibalady, it may be several months before you know the answer.
best wishes
I had the same thing. I had a large ovarian tumor (cyst) it was about 10 lbs, and it was removed last year. I had lower back pain just like you. especially when I was sleeping. It was so bad that I could not lift my legs to put my pants on.

Mind you I am normal weight, but the tumor was so large that my stomach looked big, I thought I was fat, but it was the tumor that was making me look fat. Any how, after the tumor was removed, my back pain was worse for a few months, but it started getting better, and now it is gone. I hope this helps you.

Zibalady
Dear Amy,

I am 31 with no children and I recenlty had a fibroid tumor removed from my cervix, which was not very normal, as they normally develope in the womb and overies. I too had very bad lower back pain leading up to my my surgery. It too referred through into my hip area and I not even thinking I went and brought a new bed thinking my bed was just old.

It has now been nearly 3 months since my surgery and I have started having the pain again, not as bad yet, but enough to keep my awake at night. As soon as I get up and release presure of my insides it seems to settle. I will be going for more test as my natropath beleives I may have more tumors which cause the lower back pain and that my overies are also not very healthy??

I am sure you would have your patholgy back by now and I hope everything is benign for you? If you have any questions about my back pain please ask I am more than happy to chat. Oh I should also add that I am under regular chrio care and he also says I have issues with my reproductive area of my spine and suggested I get some more tests?

goodluck with your health
Carrie

Dear Amy,

Good that you are having the surgery.

The only thing I know to take into consideration, is to go to a chiropractor, after you recovered from the sugery. Especially with your back-problem. To attent to the effects of the surgery (not the causes).
I have had 2 cysts and 3 other small tumors removed not long ago. While recovering I developed serious pain, thinking the cysts were growing back of something might be wrong with my kidneys. My doctors checked everything and then one noticed my hips were off by 2cm. I have a history of backproblems, but this didn't feel like my 'normal' pain. He adviced me to see a chiropractor.
I went to a chiropractor and she told me that I was not in one line at all and that it is normal that it all shifts during surgery, since you are under sedatives and they are pushing an pulling your body. In order to not end up with all kinds of other pain and symptoms, it's recomandable to have yourself lined out. I've had just a few treatments and that weird pain is almost gone now.
Make sure to find a good one, able to use an 'activator' (small adjustment device) instead of the old-fashioned fold-you-in-half-and-lean-on-you-method; that might be painfull after surgery...

Good luck with your sugery!
Sorry, didn't take notice of the dates...
By now you have had your surgery, hope it went well. Still my comment above stands.

Get well soon!
I been starting to have lower back pain after my freezing. I went to chiropractor, for 2 weeks every second day. But it helped for a while. Since i felt find i longer did not go to see if it will go away so after friday i did not go to see if it is gone until this wed. But i been now starting some new symptoms like lower back pain that feel like someone is stabbing me in the back off and on. I had one on Saturday and one now on Tue. It is very off the stabbing back pain that i am experienceing. So i dont know if i should continue with chiro since it works only temp. Something else could be the problem.
After freezing been having lower back pain. Then after two weeks of chiro been getting stabbing back pain at night.
Hi There - pop81,
what kind of freezing did you have?
You should see whomever did your treatment for follow up and evalaution  of your pain
take care