Ovarian Cancer Community
Can depression/anger be caused by a complex cyst??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

I wondering if a cyst can cause a change in hormones? I have been so angry all week. I wake up angry and then by the time I get to work the anger has changed to depression. Then I have moments of giddiness.

I am usually laid back and rarely get upset so this is difficult to understand. I think I might also be covering my fear of upcoming surgery with other emotions.

Has anyone else experienced the mood swings, if so any ideas on how to control them? Also, did they go away after the cyst removal? Perhaps I am wrongfully blaming mental problems on a cyst?
Thanks!
Oh honey, yes they can!!!! Any disturbance with your ovaries can change hormone production and throw things totally out of wack.  I was angry, weepy, etc. for a year!!  I did not know what was going on until my yearly with my gyno and she sent me for the us.  My poor husband did not know what happened to me.  I could wake up angry, knowing deep in my heart I shouldn't be, but yell at the kids anyway.  I hope this gets resolved for you very soon.  My thoughts and prayers are with you.  Sending you a reasurring hug.  Things will change for the better!!
~Tascha
I'm glad to see someone else has been wondering about this.  

I had the cyst out three+ weeks ago, and got 'down' and a bunch of inhospitable feelings about a week and half after for no reason I could discern and wondered if it was a hormone shift with the one ovary newly gone.  Today just got that time of month and the cramps are feeling much more like my standard ones of many years (more intense) and not as mild and differently timed as they had become.  Sex drive is different too, more back to normal.  I'm usually so even keeled.  I wonder how many of my more uneven feelings over the last couple years will go away now?

I'd asked my doctor about endo. cysts effecting hormones and she wasn't aware of anything.  I'm beginning to highly suspect it though.  Maybe it's something that hasn't been studied yet?

I'm so glad to hear it's not just me.
Cheri

Thanks for making me feel somewhat normal. I have actually been great all weekend, no mood swings at all.. hopefully it lasts.

Mary, the road trip is still on. Our friends are flying over from the US on March 2 and staying through the 12. It is one friends first time out of the states so I hope to be well enough to show her a good time. We have booked a lovely B&B and a castle for at least one night so it should be fantastic!

I hope the surgery goes as planned and I recover quickly as I have more guest coming through out the spring and then multiple trips scheduled for the summer and fall. This whole thing took me by surprise!

GV (Genevieve)