Ovarian Cancer Community
Chemo Cocktail

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Chemo Cocktail

Hello ladies, I am still actually awaiting to hear what my new chemo cocktail will be used this second go around, but it sounds like it might be the carboplatin/gemzar combo.  First time I had the Carboplatin/Taxotere, but since 2006 I've had constant lower leg achiness and problems, and oncologist told me that due to these neurapathy problems they won't use the taxotere again.  I argued the point where that I will use what ever worked, last combo kept cancer away for 4 years 7 months, but he gave me a look, and said it could do enough damage to my legs where I couldn't use them, so I was like okie dokie.  Anyway I am rambling.  Just wanted to hear how you ladies that might of had this combo, how you all did?  Any major issues? or concerns?   I am already assuming the hair will be gone, again.  Last go round I had good meds that kept off the nausea, emend, zofran, and steroids, so I have those on board for this go round.  Will take any advice anyone will give me.  I've heard that if you did relatively well with chemo the first time, you are expected to do the same on subsequent times.  I am new at having to do this again.  Appreciate your imput ladies.  Looks like my first treatment will be the week before Christmas.  Merry Christmas to me  ;)
You may not lose your hair this time.  It will probably thin somewhat, but it would have primarly have been the taxotere that made you lose it the first time.  Gemzar was one of the ones that caused the most nausea for me, but it may not be the case for you.  It also damaged my lungs, and caused fevers...but there again, not everyone gets every side effect.  Do ask that the carboplatin be administered at a fairly slow rate.  If one develops a reaction to it, it is usually during the second treatment of the second cycle of it.  I'm sure it happened to others at different times, but it is actually known that it is most likely to occur at that treatment if it is going to happen.  Other than that, you know the drill...rest and make sure you have things to eat that are easy to get (and hopefully keep) down.  

I will be thinking about you and sending you all my good wishes for an easy treatment!

Gail
I hope your new chemo will be easy and work well for you.  Marie
Wow....4 years and 7 months.......sorry to hear it's back.  I will be thinking of you and waiting to hear how you are doing.
I wish for you, and all here, Happy Holidays!
Peace.
dian