Ovarian Cancer Community
Chemo Side Effect

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Chemo Side Effect

Does anyone have any suggestions for what to do for burning pain in the feet? My mom is in her 5th cycle of carbo and taxol and this has been a very big problem for her, almost to the point of not being able to walk. If anyone has experienced this and has any insight I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Everyone is different and what works for some may not work for others.  But, I took a warm container of water and soaked my feet long enough to soften the skin a bit.  Then I rubbed wintergreen alchohol on my feet and legs up to my knees.  It offered a little relief.  If you try this, you might spot test as the alcohol may have more of a drying effect than a soothing one.  You can also ask her doctor about Glutamine powder.  It's a tasteless, colorless powder you can get at the drug store in the section with protein powders, and body building supplements.  Body builders use it to help repair muscles after a big work out. My Oncologist recommended it. I usually mixed it into orange juice.  I couldn't tell a big difference, but I think it helped a little with the neuropathy....i.e. the tingly feeling.  

Is the 6th cycle going to be the last, or will she go on maintenance treatments?  Best wishes to you and your mom.  I'm praying it gets better!

Gail
I dipped my feet into a cool basin of water.  Then used lotion to help cool them.  Hope this helps.  
i was on the same conbination of chemo 5 treatments before the surg and 5 after, my legs hurt and would burn - if made walking very painful. it seemed to attack my bone marrow- i had to get a transfusion 2 to 3 weeks after each chemo treatment,  i tried aloe vera lotion, almost like sunburn lotion, i also used it when my scalp would  burn,  and it seemed to help you can keep the lotion in the frig .to cool it down- of course it wasn't winter, and the thought of  putting cold lotion on at this time, makes me shiver, i have to most likely get a new series of chemos treatments they found 2 areas of interest  in the cat scan last week, so i'll find out monday..
i would use cool water and cocoa butter lotion, to ease the burn a bit. i think the nuroapathy drove me more crazy than anything else. About 6 months ago i started taking vitamin b complex, to help it a bit.  i hate to say this, but it will be two years this sept, and I still suffer from it.. it's not as bad as it once was, but it's still there.. i have noticed that it flares up more when I'm real tired. the vitamin b helps a bit though.