Chemo and Pets
I have a small dog and I never bring him when I go to see my mom since she is sick and undergoing chemo.  My question is, if she comes to my place, is it ok if I lock the dog in the kitchen?  OR do I have to totally get him out of the apartment?

Of course I would scrub the place from top to bottom before she came over.

Im just curious because Im sure many people have pets and Im wondering how the situation is handled.

Thanks!
Hi, I have been having Chemotherapy now for eight years and have a young dog at the moment, having lost our two dogs from old age we decided to get a puppy a year and a half ago when I was in full swing with treatment.   I must say my wee dog sits on my lap every morning while I gather myself together and we both love it.   Pets are great therapy and as long as your Mum takes the usual precausions and tries to avoid infections she will benefit from the association as much a you do.
Good luck with your Mum's visit and have a great time.
I have a dog and two cats.  I had two cats when I was pregnant and I know there was some medical concern( in some articles) about, I think it was Toxoplamosis, from cats causing birth defects.  I then found out if you have always had the cats around then you are probably immune to this and I certainly had no problem.  I would imagine it would be the same with dogs especialy if your mom has been around animals on a regular basis
Concerned...sorry to tell you this news, but your mother is many, many times more likely to get germs from you than from  your pet.  

Do you have another name or nickname by which we can call you?  You are quite the regular here, and to still be calling you Concerned seems a bit..."formal"!
I have a dog and remember asking my oncologist before we started chemo, if that was a problem, and he said "no". He didn't even give me any warnings or asked me to take precautions so I have lived like I always have.
Yes I guess I have become a regular here...my name is Alan!  Sorry to meet you all under these circumstances.