Ovarian Cancer Community
Colon Cleanse Before Laporoscopy?!?!?!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Colon Cleanse Before Laporoscopy?!?!?!

I went to see my GYN today for a consultation on my procedure scheduled for this Thursday.  He is now telling me I have to do a colon cleanse the night before in case there is anything growing on my bowels and they need to call in a specialist for resection surgery.  What??!  This started out as a simple exploratory surgery and now I'm having an oopherectomy with a frozen section biopsy, a possible larger incision, possible hysterectomy and now possible bowel resection surgery???

Should I be worried about this or do you think my doctor is just trying to cover all bases?  Also, anyone ever had endometriosis growing on their colon and had it removed?

Thanks for your advice.
Your Gyn is covering all bases and being prepared for the worst case, which is good for you, you would not want it any other way.  You are having an exploratory laparotomy for endometriomas on both ovaries but the left one has a nodule.  The only way to diagnois what your problem is by biopsy.  Worst case scenario you have ovarian cancer, then they are prepared with the Gyn/Onc to come in and take over the surgery.  This is what you would want any good physician to have a plan for.  Do you want to be biopsied, have the pathology done, then be told it is cancer and go back to surgery at another time?  I would not.  The surgery for OC is extensive, total abdominal hystrectomy and both ovaries and tubes, the fat pad called the omentenium that covers the abdomen, as multiple biopsies.  If it is cancer it could involve the colon depending upon spread, thus the reason for the bowel prep.  The chance with your age makes you a low risk for cancer, the majority of cysts are benign.

Now if it is endometrosis, the endometroias and also adhere to the colon and the colon can be nicked when they try remove them.  I would be happy that your physician is covering all bases and has the specialist on stand by.  Take comfort that you are in good hands, doing the bowel prep pre-op takes care of nerves the night before.  Make your bathroom off limits and comfortable for you for several hours.  

After surgery get up and walk, do the breathing exercises and since you can't smoke in the hospital, work on quiting.  Good luck with the surgery.  Keep us posted

Marie
I have to add that the better the bowel prep, the easier it is after surgery when it is time for your colon to wake up.  I had to do a bowel prep for all of my surgeries and it really helps with your gas and moving things down there after the surgery.  

Before my last surgery I got the speel about possible bladder involvement, adhesions, endometriosis and bowel resection.  Although it was cancer and I did have lots of adhesions there was no problem with my bowel or bladder.  I was happy they were prepared and they could do everything they needed right then.

Best of luck!  I hope your surgery goes well.    Laura :)
I've also read that it's easier for the surgeon to get around in the abdomen with the bowel laying flat.  Not sure if that's true but that way my impression going into surgery.  Glad I didn't know about the possible re sectioning stuff.
Just a little tip with the colon cleanse. Make sure you have petroluem jelly, so the bum don't hurt so bad. Paula
My mother was scheduled for a partial hysterectomy, no bowel concerns, etc and had to do the bowel cleanse.  FOLLOW instructions closely. She didn't, bought the wrong product and spent the 3 hours prior to procedure worrying about pooping on the table!!!!  I think this is normal with any hysto procedure, as they move around in the abdomen and bowel issues (tears) are a risk and are MUCH less dangerous with an empty bowel.  She was NOT going in for any cancer issue other than abdominal at that point....so I think its merely a safety during surgery issue.  
Thanks, everyone.  I guess it's a good precaution then.  PPhelps, I'll keep your tip in mind!!