Ovarian Cancer Community
Colonoscopy/adhesions

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Colonoscopy/adhesions

Back in Jan, my primary dr. sent me to a gastric dr. for some swallowing issues I had, as well as to a gyn for the abdominal pains.

The gastric dr. scheduled me (this Thursday!) for a colonoscopy because of my Dad's history of polyps, it wasn't related to the ovarian cyst thing.

When I had my hyster. several years ago, they found "adhesions of the sigmoid colon to the left pelvic sidewall."

So I told the gyn that I am afraid the adhesions are back, and that the colonoscopy is going to really hurt.

He said no, that the tube goes INTO the colon and it shouldn't bother a thing. I dunno, I don't believe him. Is he right? Am I worrying for nothing?

Can they see adhesions when they do the colonoscopy? Will they be able to tell me if they have indeed returned? (I've heard that once you have adhesions, it's a pretty good bet you'll get 'em again!)

Oh yeah, notice this all started in January. Why does it take so long to deal with this stuff???

Suzanne
I like you question, as I feel like I have adhesions too and am going for a colonoscopy next week. Hope we get an answer.

Linda J
The tube goes IN the colon, not around the outside of it.  You'll be asleep anyway so it won't hurt.  I had one a few weeks ago, didn't feel a thing during or after.

Adhesions are the #1 reason people develop intestinal blockages, that's probably why they want you to have a colonoscopy, to be sure nothing's getting blocked, as well as to look for polyps.
I know this is a stupid question, but (1) are the adhesions normally on the inside or outside of the colon?  and (2) If on the putside, I would assume a colonoscopy can't find them?  and (3) can they see them in a CT?

I know...I know..that was three questions
Saw your three questions; my colonoscopy is on Thursday (yep, today is Prep Day!)

I was also wondering how they could see adhesions. As I understand it, they would be on the outside of the colon. The tube is going inside the colon. And I don't know about a CT.

I'll let you know what happens.

Suzanne
Say, if you see this in time, I need to tell you to mention this adhesion thing to the doctor who will be doing the colonoscopy.  They can be ready with extra verstad or whatever they use now days. I had mine in 2002 and they found a ton of adhesions. These things were causing my colon to colapse. As a result, I had irritable bowel syndrome and was miserable for a long time.

The adhesions were very visible. The doc saw them right away up on the screen. I saw them, too. If the doctors had known, they would have probably given me something different, or more of the  verstad. But, then...I had a ton of them. And, the tube actually stretched out the colon. I can see that if I had not had any adhesions it would have been a piece of cake.

I know I responded not long ago to a thread about this and what to expect. And, I am the one promoting "body rolling" for massage for adhesions. We can talk more this weekend about this..or you may find my stuff in the archives or on threads near the bottom on adhesions and how I broke them up. A true gift...Unreal relief.

I am the last one to have a negative attitude and I promise I am not trying to scare you...just be prepared and let the medical people know that you might be struggling with adhesions. I felt so much better when it was over...and, not just cuz it was over, if you know what I mean. Got great relief from the IBS. But, the adhesions often come back...that is when I discoverd the deep deep massage I can go into later.

If you post a question to me...start a new thread if you can...I have not had much time to come to this site the past few weeks so and I don't want to miss a question if you have any.

Take care...hang in there. Mary