Ovarian Cancer Community
Colostomy reversal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Colostomy reversal

Hello all! I forget who on this forum has had experience with a colostomy. I will be getting mine reversed in a week or so and would like to know what kind of recovery time I am looking at and how "serious" the reversal surgery is. Also, does anyone know if they will be able to go through a old incision to reverse the colostomy or will I have another scar to add to the 5 fairly large ones I already have on my stomach/chest? Any info on this matter is greatly appreciated. Thanks - Deandra
I don't know a thing about the surgery you having sweetie, but this is the first time I have been happy that someone was having surgery.  Take care kiddo and we will all be thinking good thoughts.
Jan
Hi mate   :-)   ,,, That's great news that they are able to do that reversal operation for you.... and I hope and pray that it goes well. Unfortunately, because my cancer recurred within the 12 months, my Surgeon refused to 'go in' again, citing that it would cause me further grief, so I've learned to live with my situation. I'm not familiar with how they go about doing this operation Deandra, as I never had the option of deciding, so I'm sorry I'm not able to expand on that for you. Just want to wish you all the best, and I look forward to hearing how it went, and that you will get the great outcome that I will be praying for you.
Thinking of you....lots of hugs...Helen...
Deandra - I too have no experiece, but, wish y ou the best and hope that it is easy on you and you have a real fast recovery!!!!!
All the best,
Pam
I had a colostomy reversal 11/06 & it was one of the best things I've ever done.  The doctors were able to use the same incision site so no additional scarring.  I did have some pain during bowel movements for several months but that was because my bowel was sluggish & the rectum also had to stretch (according to the docs.)  My friend who also had a reversal had no problems whatsoever so I think it just depends on the patient.  I just love not having my "little farty."
Ditto what Jan said.  It's so good to be happy someone is having surgery.  Just take care of yourself so you can enjoy your new freedom.  Paula
Wishing you much luck on the upcoming surgery!!! Keep that positive attitude! I will email you soon...I am praying and hoping that this is the final chapter ! Stay Strong! Please let me know when your surgery is....Gia :)
  I do not know anything about colostomy reversal either, other than knowing that you finally get rid of the bag, right?
  But I wish you the best of luck and I hope that all goes well and you have a speedy recovery. We will all be right there with you. Love, Chris
Please post when you have your reversal.  I too came out of surgery with a stoma , the doc said 4 months, so we shall see. It would be like Christmas to have it gone, as long as everything bounces back. I've had it 6 weeks now and I sometimes forget it's there, but I haven't tried to travel or work etc.  Best of luck to you, it's a good thing.
Just wanted you to know that I was thinking of you and knowing this is one surgery you can look forward to.. Hugs to you Ronni
Dear Deandra,
I am wishing you the very best in a good recovery. Sending lots of love, Helen
I wish you all the best for your operation and hope that you have a speedy and good recovery

Jenny
I don't have experience to share but I am sooooo happy for you and hope and pray all goes well!!  

Hugs,  Shelly