Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
Complete path?

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Complete path?

I saw the doc yesterday and requested copies of surgical and pathology reports.  Surgery report is long and a thorough analysis of the procedure, I'll leave that out.
Path report . . . am I missing something? The one I saw at the hospital included an analysis of the washings, and I see nothing indicating biopsied samples.
Diagnosis: Uterus, cervic, bilateral tubes and ovaries, hysterectomy:
     Benign proliferative phase endometrium. Unremarkable myometrium and cervix.  Unremarkable fallopian tubes.  Right ovary with follicular cysts.  Left ovary with follicular cysts and hemorrhagic corpus luteal cyst.
Tr:
GSS:lke
Clinical History
Ovarian mass.
Specimen:
Uterus, bilateral ovaries/fallopian tubes.
Gross Description:
(This part describes coloring and sizes of everything, so I'll leave it out for brevity)
A1     Anterior/posterior cervix
A2-A3  Full thickness sections of the uterine body
A4     Representative sections of the left ovary and fallopian tube
A6 Representative sections of the right ovary and fallopian tube
MJM:tld
That's it.  Doc said endometriosis was found, but shouldn't the path report say something about that? The A1-6 (no 5?) seem to be cross-sections?
Hi There,
I have pasted the part of the report that gives the diagnosis below:

'Benign proliferative phase endometrium. Unremarkable myometrium and cervix. Unremarkable fallopian tubes. Right ovary with follicular cysts. Left ovary with follicular cysts and hemorrhagic corpus luteal cyst'

So this report is called the pathology report and describes what is seen under the microscope. from it ,we know that you do not have cancer, and you have some benign cysts.

It is common to make a diagnosis of endometriosis based on what is seen at surgery. There can be red or black spots on the lining of the abdomen - called the peritoneum.

to make a microscopic diagnosis of endometriosis, the pathologist needs to see three things: blood, endometrial glands, and endometrial stroma. Stroma is the packing tissue between glands in the normal lining of the endometrium.  

It is not rare to see grossly (with the naked eye), an area that looks like endometriosis but under the microscope, the three elements are not seen - because the area is irritated, or small, or is in a healing phase (called 'burned-out endometriosis').

You should ask your surgeon to help you understand to disparity between report and surgical finding. I would go with what is seen to make this diagnosis.

best wishes