Ovarian Cancer Community
Complex Cyst vs Functional Cyst
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Complex Cyst vs Functional Cyst

Just wondering.  Can a complex cyst be a functional cyst?  Do/can a complex cyst resolve on its own?
Related Discussions
6 Comments
Blank
117289 tn?1391716425
Complex cysts have debris in them.  Functional cysts "should" resolve each cycle, however many of us now know that they do not.  Please try to remember that 99% of ovarian cysts are benign.  Godspeed
~Tascha
Blank
118225 tn?1278658540
im not sure about the functional thing...but i have had 2 "complex cysts both resolved on there own within 6 weeks....i believe mine were hemmoraghic cysts. the kind that bleed into themselves and makes them look "complex"....it all depends on the cyst i guess. some kinds of complex cysts like dermoids and things of those nature i believe no not resolve on their own/
Blank
118225 tn?1278658540
well, mine had "multiple septations".....all the blood inside of it can clot and it makes it look like septations and solid pieces.
Blank
According to my ultrasound the complex cyst in the left ovary has septations and vascularity.  Is that indicative of a hemmoraghic cyst?
Blank
After my first u/s in Jan., I was told that it is probably a hemorrhagic cyst and can resolve on it's own. The report said it was a complex cyst with debris and a septation with vascular mural thickening (blood supply)....However, it did not resolve...it got slightly bigger and now they think it's an endometrioma or teratoma or something else, that's why I'm having a "diagnostic laparascopy" with "poss. exploratory laparotomy"....they just don't know for sure with me...I will know on Friday though.'
Take care,
(((Raynbow
Blank
This is a great question. My dr told me that a complex cyst can be functional...and that 98% of the time they resolve on their own. Did yours?
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Ovarian Cancer Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488 tn?1310696703
Blank
Marathon Running Done Over Many Yea...
May 21 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank