Complex Cyst
My mother's gyn felt a mass on her ovary a few weeks ago.  An ultrasound determined it is a complex cyst about the size of a small cantaloupe.  Her only symptoms are abdominal pressure, but no pain.  To me, she seems more tired than normal but she doesn't think so.  Ultrasound was conducted last week, mid-November 2007.  Gyn scheduled surgery for removal over a month from now in late December 2007.  Doctor told my mom all indications are it is benign.  Mom is postmenopausal, 56 years-old, and had breast cancer 3 years ago (ducal carcinoma in situ (stage O) total right matectomy (overkill, but she was a freak about it so they took whole breast) but has been, and is clean now.  She had a tubal over 20 years ago.  
a) should we be waiting this long to for surgery, doctor doesn't seem to be treating this with urgency.
b) can gyn tell much by ultrasound (i.e., "all indications its benign")?    
c) second opinion warranted?
Any thoughts would be much appreciated.  
c) second opinion warranted?
Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
They can tell quite a bit from a ultrasound.  Did she have a CA-125, being post menopausal that would be appropriate?  Given that she has a history of breast cancer, she should consider a second opinion with a Gyn/Oncologist, and having him/her do the surgery or being on call in case it is cancer.  If is cancer, the Gyn/Onc is only one who can do the surgery necessary to give us the fighting chance with this disease.  
My suggestions ask for a CA 125 and a referral to a Gyn/Onc.  good luck to your mom, keep us posted
I agree with Marie.  I am 50 years old and the ultrasound found cysts and a mass, not as big as your mothers, but they did do the CA125 blood test, mainly because my mother died from ovarian cancer 3 years ago.  My doctor doesn't seem to be taking it urgently, but he says because the CA125 came back normal.  I would get a second opinion from a Onc. I am a little surprised your doctor didn't tell you to do that, that was the first thing my gyn told me to do. Good luck.
Thanks for the response.  My mom didn't have the CA125, the Gyn didn't even mention it to her.  She did say the onc. would be on call.  She likes and trusts her GYN so she didn't seem thrilled about a second opinion, besides, would another Doc be able to get her in more quickly?  She is slated for surgery to remove it Dec 18.  She said this weekend she thinks it is growing, because she is more uncomfortable.  This cyst now seems larger than a cantaloupe.  I read the larger they are, the better chance they are benign.  Any truth to that?  Many thanks, best wishes.