Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
Complex Mass on Right Ovary
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Complex Mass on Right Ovary

I'm 22 and recently told I have a complex mass on my right ovary 5.6cm. I'm
worried it might be cancer. Should I be? I don't see my doctor for 4 weeks. I
tried to call but she never called me back. I just got my ultrasound results
today. Here they are: Uterus measures 7.3x4.4x2.9 cm. The endometrial stripe is
3.3 mm. The left ovary demonstrates small subcentimeter follicles. In the right adnexea, there is a 5.6x5.0x5.4 cm complex mass of uncertain etiology.Malignancy can not be excluded.

There is a Nabothian Cyst. No free fluid collection.

Impression:
A 5.6 cm complex mass right ovary.
Related Discussions
242604_tn?1328124825
Hi There,
most ovarian cyts and masses are benign. The risk of malignancy goes up with age. The average age of ovarian cancer is 55.
I would say that 80% of the time at age 22, when you check again the mass is gone because it was just a funny cyst of ovulation that had some bleeding and then looked complex.
so usually we would repeat the scan after a menstrual cycle or 2.

persistent mass at your age are usually dermoid cysts - benign tumors or endometriomas - a cyst from endometriosis, a benign condition.

There are some extremely rare malignancies that occur at your age including germ cell tumors and borderline ovarian tumors.

In addition to a repeat US (or some doctors would get a pelvic MRI as a follow up), we usually check blood tests such as a pregnancy test (bHCG), a blood count to check for anemia,  and certain "tumor markers" such as alpha feto protein (afb) and CA 125.

if the mass is still present on repeat ultrasound, the next step is to consider looking at it surgically by laparoscopy and removing the cyst by surgery.
I know it is really stressful not knowing. good follow up is very important.
best wishes
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
563773_tn?1374250139
Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank
Private practice
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Chemotherapy Tracker