Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
Complex Ovarian Cyst

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Complex Ovarian Cyst

I went to the emergency room double over with stomach pain. They did a Cat Scan & Pelvic Sono’s. They said I had two cyst and sent me home.
They called four days later and told me they recommend further testing an MRI with Gadolinium dye.

The cat scan shows : nodular thickening of adrenal gland also there are bilateral cystic adnexal structures., which are incompletely characterized, measuring
3.2 x 2.7cm on the left side.

The pelvic sono’s shows: left ovary measures 3.8 x 3.3 x 3.o cm. There is a left ovarian cyst measuring 2.4 x 2.2 x 2.2 cm.

The right ovary is enlarged measuring 6.1 x 4.9 x 4.1 cm. There is a complex right ovarian cyst measuring up to 2.3 x 2.4 x 2.0cm with potential Wall nodularity. Additionally, there is a hypoechoic structure in the right ovary measuring 2.3 x2.4 x 2.0 cm with apparent flow measuring up to 2.4 cm.

I have an appointment in aweek with my doctor. I am a nervous wreck.. Is this something I really should be worried about!!!
Hi There,
these are small cysts and could represent many possibilities ranging from abscesses to endometriosis to benign tumors to cancer.

You are in good hands and getting appropriate follow up.
please let us know what happens
best wishes
Hello there - I am still very concerned about the possibility of ovarian cancer or even bowel cancer.  I had heavy painful periods for years and told I had fibroids and probably endo.  I didn't want hormone treatment with all the side effects it brought with it so just got on with it.  I then had an attack of severe pain and ended up in A&E where they eventually diagnosed a clear 4cm cyst on one ovary and a complex 6cm cyst on the other (where I had the pain) and put me down for a laparoscopy

I had my lap three weeks ago - I was diagnosed with extensive endo - to such an extent that they couldn't get to my ovaries - it is apparently everywhere , including the pouch of Douglas (?) and my ovaries are completely stuck down with it.

I had the CA125 test and as this was normal they said they are confident it's not anything more sinister than endo but surely that would have elevated the test result?

I've been given the Mirena coil to try and shrink them - but I can't get on with my life - I still have the strange ache and sharp pains and it is painful to empty both my bladder and my bowels.  I know it can take months for the hormone treatment to begin to work, but I am concerned that I need further investigation.  I know endo doesn't appear overnight and this pain is completely different to my severe period pain.  Also, I have 13 out of the 14 symptoms listed on this site for ovarian cancer and I can't help but be concerned they have got it wrong as we so often hear they do.

I've posted several queries and most have been answered helpfully and I'm grateful for this site but cat help wonder whether I should push for further tests and if so, what?

Hellen
Dear Hellen
thank you for your question
the definitive treatment of severe endometriosis is the full removal of the uterus, fallopian tubes, ands ovaries. And then avoidance of estrogen therapy.

This surgery can be technically difficult and you could look into a consultation with a gyn oncology surgeon. This subspecialty has alot of experience with complex surgery.

it is reassuring that there was no sign of cancer at your last surgery.
once tissue is removed at surgery, it is analyzed under the microscope. That will give you the 100% that you do not have a cancer.
take care