Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
Complex Ovarian Mass on Ultrasound

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Complex Ovarian Mass on Ultrasound
I had a recent ultrasound to confirm fibroids which there are two 3 cm fibroids.  Also noted was a 8x9 cm complex ovarian mass.  The radiologist looked back at a CT I had 18 months ago for another problem and saw that this same mass was read out and reported then as a 6x8 cm complex mass, but my surgeon never told me about it.  I'm having tumor markers drawn this week and a TAH-BSO next week, but am terrified that this has been there so long.  The radiologist's impression was that it is a dermoid.  If it was ovarian cancer and has been there that long, would I have had other symptoms?  Thank you so much for your time.
Hi There,
I agree that an ovarian mass over 5 cm should be removed. So you are proceeding with the correct plan. It is not possible to know what this is until it is evaluated under the microscope. Most masses and cysts are benign. I know that does not change your anxiety but you are getting taken care of very quickly
best wishes to you
Just got a copy of my records and this mass was actually there over 2 years ago on another CT scan.  All 3 radiologists have called it a teratoma/germ cell.  Funny that my 2 previous physicians didn't report this to me.  Anyway, the most recent ultrasound shows uterus to be 9x5.6 cm, endometrium is 4 mm and the mass is described as a heterogeneous cystic/solic mass measuring 9.3x6.2x7.8 cm and mildly increased in size vs technique with no vascular flow seen within the lesion.  I am 46 years old and G3,P3,A1. I hope this helps you.  Thanks again!
Hi I just wanted to say that I too had a solid/liquid mass hete(sp?) and when I had my surgery 1 1/2 ago it turned out to be a dermoid.  I know you are scared but I would definately have it removed.  I know the worst part for me was not knowing.  Good luck.  You are in my prayers.
Thanks for your posts.  My tumor markers are negative, so I'm resting easier now.  Surgery in less than one week.
I am so glad to hear that.  Nothing is worse than the unknown.  Good luck with surgery.  I know I had never had surgery and was surpirsed that it was no so bad.
A related discussion, complex  ovarian mass   was started.
Chemotherapy Tracker
Chemotherapy Tracker
Ovulation Tracker
Ovulation Tracker