Ovarian Cancer Community
Complex cystic mass

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Complex cystic mass

Hello, I'm 62 yo, I was involved in a car accident 3 months ago and there was an incidental finding on pelvic CT of a 2 cm Left ovarian questional lipoma fat mass.  My Gyn then had me do a pelvic UTS and the radiologist read it as "Complex, solid cystic mass adjacent to and likely involving the left ovary diameter of 4.7 X 2.9 cm."  CA-125 pending.  I don't have symptoms other than a few twinges in my Left side every now and then.  I am going to see my Gyn next week and I'm very scared it's ovarian cancer.  

Could it be a dermoid, especially since the first radiologist for who initially saw it said it looked like a lipoma??

Should I have a repeat pelvic CT?  Should I have surgery?

What would be the appropriate best step?  Please help, I am freaking out.  
You are on the right path.  Continue trying to narrow the possibilities.  You haven't been diagnosed with cancer yet so don't panic just yet.....maybe you won't have to go down that path.  
When you see your gyn next week you might want to request a referral to a gyn/oncologist......not because it is cancer but because they are the ones with extra years of training for just this type issue.  If there is going to be surgery in your future.....YOU HAVE ONLY ONE CHANCE TO GET IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME......make certain a gyn/oncologist is your guy/gal  to perform your surgery.   That is the best advice anyone can give you.
Hang in there....try not to borrow trouble.....you won't know  your diagnosis  until tissue is sent to pathology.....just keep moving ahead.  Believe it or not, your answers will come.
This is doable.
Come here to talk as often as you want.....we are here for you.
Peace.
dian
I had a mass engulfing my left ovary (bigger than yours!) and had to have surgery to have it checked/removed.  I followed the advice on this board and had a gyn/onc do the surgery - lucky for me it wasn't cancer!  Just a benign mass.  I did a lot of research before surgery and I was prepared for the worst, but did decide that while I would learn as much as I could I would try not to worry until I had something to worry about.  :-)   But of course I spent some time freaking out as well - I can certainly relate.  I also didn't have symptoms other than a twinge now and then, and I thought that was normal for ovulating so I never mentioned it.  

Unfortunately even if they think it's probably not cancer they often can't tell without surgery - but follow up with a gyn and ask direct questions.  Get a second opinion from a gyn/onc.  If they suggest surgery then do it, and be sure a gyn/onc is present!  If it is cancer it's VERY important to have that gyn/onc there.    

And there are women on here with the whole gamut of experiences that will be there for you no matter how it turns out, so take heart in that and let us know how things are going.    

Let us know if you have other questions, or if there's anything we can do to help.  

Melissa