Ovarian Cancer Community
Cost of neulasta

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Cost of neulasta

I just found out the cost of one injection is about $3,000.
I am shocked at how expensive this drug is.
Its so very important to have good health coverage.
I could not believe that either. I looked at it twice. The new sickness pill E-Mend $340.00 for three pills!!
Its scary to know that these medications cost so much.  Its particularly unfair for those who dont have, or cannot afford, good health coverage.  On top of everything else, one should not have to worry about money and paying for life saving meds.
It's absolutely obscene.  My mom told me her Nuelasta shots were listed at $7,000, but Medicare wrote the cost down to $1500 and paid it (or maybe her part B paid it, I'm not sure).

What is someone without insurance supposed to do?
Now I know why they don't prescribe it here in the UK on the NHS unless you really need it!  At least it doesn't cost those patients anything.  I think some 'big pharma' is making a hell of a profit somewhere.
It is a crying shame that everyone cannot have the same level of care & meds when they are sick. When my Aunt was going through Chemo for breast cancer her doctor didnt tell her there was a medication available to help with the nausea feelings afterwards because he knew she could not afford them (don't know the name of the pills).  My Uncle was prescribed them for his Chemo treatments but he had great insurance. Sucks not to be filthy rich.
Those prices are WOW!!!!  I am lucky that I have the VA for my insurance.  My time in the Marines has paid me many benefits.  Even then the cost to the VA is $1500.  I have Medicare part B as well that help defray some of those costs.  I certainly never thought that I would get a cancer.  Something needs to done about these through the roof drug prices.
I am a United States citizen who lives in Costa Rica... Emend is $65.00 for the 3 pills I took and Neulesta is $200.00 per injection... Tell me who is ripping the public off in the USA big time..The drug companies or the Government which is more vile...@aloxi which is put in your chemo IV here and the U.S. is about $40.00.. what a rip off

WOW!  I was billed over $4,000 per Neulasta injection. I had 6 of them. When will this be fixed?? Why don't our citizens demand better?  Marie
It was listed as $6000.00 on the bill, but reduced to $3000.00 with ins co.  I am one of the very, very lucky ones as I have my chemo in my Drs office so I only pay a $15.00 office visit copay and everything else is included in that.  When I get my neulasta shot the next day I pay another $15.00 copay so my whole chemo cost is $30.00.  I know some women whose ins co treats it like a hospital charge and they do the 80/20 thing.  20% or even 10% (my copay) it a lot with the cost of chemo.
I was lucky also that my ins co paid for Zofran before there was a generic in Jan of this year.  My chemo nurse said she didn't even tell most people about it after checking with their ins companies only to find out it wouldn't be covered.  When I picked up my first scrip I was shocked because on the tag on the bag it said, "Your Ins. Company Saved you $1047.00"  That was for 20 pills.  When I was in remission and didn't really need them I got them anyway and gave them to people that I knew needed them.  It cost me $10.00 for those 20 pills and it is criminal that anyone is left suffering for lack of money.  I am OUTRAGED that in a supposedly civilized society this is allowed to happen.

I saw a list of headlines we would like to see and one of them was
PHARMACEUTICAL EXCUTIVES GIVE MILLIONS IN BONUSES TO FREE CLINICS
"THEY NEED IT MORE THAN WE DO", SAID ONE EXECUTIVE  

Wouldn't that be nice.  Oh well.
Jan
There is a prescription assistance program for it...ask the oncologist.  I can't remember the exact details of it because mom finally got medicare by that time.  Look into Maitake D-Fraction (www.maitake.com) as well :)  Good luck!
Leslee was lucky also, her insurance covered the complete cost, the bill was $6,000. per shot,  but all the insurance had to pay was $3,000.  They do cut the costs for the insurance companies, those without insurance either don't get it,  or get help, or go broke.  Leslee's insurance has a million cap on it, after that the major medical takes over. She has used just a little over half so far. Their ad campaign must cost millions, magazines, net, TV, radio, newspapers, I even saw a few bill boards.