Ovarian Cancer Community
Could my advanced ovarian cancer be abdominal sarcoidosis?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

I was diagnosed with Stage IIIc ovarian cancer three years ago in July 2005. My presenting symptoms were
increased abdominal girth (ascites) and a CA 125 of 264.  I have had sarcoidosis since May 1998 but it is not presently active.  My path report states that my ovaries were 4.9cm and 6.1 cm when surgically removed in July 2005 during the ovarian cancer surgery.  I had my omentum, ovaries, fallopian tubes, appendix,  and uterus removed.  My cervix could not be removed because my colon was attached in places to it.  I had carboplatin/taxol for 6 treatments.  I insisted on 12 more treatments as maintenance chemo with taxol.  My CA 125 for February 2008 was 7.2.  Is it normal to have such a low CA 125 and still be considered advanced ovarian cancer?  I do not understand.  I read that abdominal sarcoidosis mimics advanced ovarian cancer, but that this is very rare.  I was just needing an opinion since I already have sarcoidosis as to whether I might need to check into whether I actually had abdominal sarcoidosis instead of advanced ovarian cancer.  I asked my gynecological oncologist this question, but she did not warm up to the idea.  What say you?
1 Comment
I am a little confused but trying to figure this out.  Saw your post was unanswered and wanted to try but chemo brain...
Okay, as I understand this you have had chemo and your CA 125 is down to 7.2 and you wonder why you are still considered to have advanced ovarian cancer.  Your designation never changes from the original diagnosis as that is based on what they found at the time of surgery. That's how they keep up with the statistics and track us also.  Otherwise we would all be stage 4 at the end and that wouldn't help with research.

As for the sarcoidosis there are specific blood tests for that and your onc would have tested your cysts to see if they were that or cancer.  I don't think she would have had you go through chemo if it wasn't cancer as that other is not treated with chemo.  I am sorry, but I don't know enough about sarcoidosis or your particular set of circumstances to really render an opinion  but it does seem to me she would have put those tumors through a whole battery of tests before calling them cancer.  Good luck to you.
Jan