Ovarian Cancer Community
Could pain on left side be related to right side ovarian cyst?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

I had my left ovary removed 8 years ago due to some type of benign ovarian cyst (it just kept growing despite trying different BCPs, so gyn/ob thought it should be removed).  I NEVER had any pain from it.  Last summer I started experiencing bad pain with my period in the area where the left ovary had been.  If I take four ibuprofen right when I feel the first twinge of pain, I can keep it under control.  If I miss my chance, though, the pain is really severe-- sharp and constant and hard to relieve.  Ultrasound showed small cyst on right ovary (about 3.5cm).  I stopped having periods right after that, and repeat US after 2 mo. showed no change.  My gyn felt no treatment was needed and ordered no follow-up US.  After six mo., I started periods again and am again having the pain on the left (none on the R).  In fact, started today and also had pain down L thigh and in L hip/buttock area. Has anyone heard of having pain on left side from ovarian cyst on the right, or does anyone have any other ideas of where this pain is coming from?  My PCP has ordered another US and put in another referral for gyn.  I'm just tired of this pain!  Thanks!
Yes, it is possible that the cyst on the right ovary is causing pain on the left side - it is called referred pain.

Also, it is possible that you have a 'complication' on the left side, such as scar tissue or even ovarian remnant syndrome, that is causing the pain.

Please be certain to follow up with this pain and the known cyst with your doctor.
Not to happy about the 4 ibuprofen - I hope thats not something you do often. Try a heating pad instead or a hot water bottle. Anything that induces you to need 4 ibuprofen requires a closer look.

Saying that the doses in the UK could be different - here the highest dose you should take is 2 every 6 hours. To many taken over a prolonged period of time can cause stomach bleeding so please be carefull.

Anna x
If you had the whole ovary removed, there could be adhesions from the original surgery. Adhesions cannot be seen on ultrasound, only by actually looking at them.
I had adhesions, and during my period, the pain on my right side was achy and intermittently sharp (and quite painful).
Adhesions could be a reason... Look for posts on body rolling from Mary53 for adhesion info and how to break them up.
~Marianne
The ladies are right.  Could be referred pain or adhesions.  The body rolling is something to consider if you do have adhesions.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.  Godspeed
~Tascha