Ovarian Cancer Community
Cyst-Shoulder pain questions

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Cyst-Shoulder pain questions

Was wondering if anyone new, what is the shoulder pain that can be accompanied with cysts?  And is it an emergency?  Also, is it usually felt on the same side of the cyst, or opposite?
TIA
J.
my doc told me it can sometimes be associated with left should pain, regardless of side cyst is on, I think.
Hope this helps.
Meridith
My little 1.5cm cyst is on right side my shoulder pain is also on my right side.
Same here, had shoulder pain with my dermoids (both ovaries).  Must be another symptom.  What we women have to go through.  It is amazing at what two little organs can do!!!  My prayers are with you.
~Tascha
MUST BE PARANOID - It's amazing the things we go through and experience, not even mentioning sometimes because we're sure we're being paranoid, etc, etc, and then we go on a forum like this and find it's "normal". Thank you, Forum!

Shoulder pains, fake baby kicks, lower backache, bloatedness, etc - i'm not quite the 'fruitcake' i thought i was turning into!

My right ovary has the cysts within cysts, my right shoulder gets the most pain BUT my left side of pelvis is where my cramp type pains have always been worse and i feel the kicking - but that tiny cyst disappeared weeks ago! Must be deferred pain again i suppose.
OMG!!! I have been having such trouble with muscle pain, joint pain, hardly being able to walk, chesst and back pain, blah, blah, blah, for 4 years....DH was saying wouldn't it be great if this ovary was "poisoning me" and I would just be all better after my surgery? I just sadly laughed at him but maybe stranger things could happen! As I LOVE to say, "Hey, a girl can dream, can't she??"    Cindi
Yes, I certainly don't feel as crazy anymore.  ;-)  
But here it is a new day, I wake up with some of my old ailments gone (yay!)...only for new ones to start up.  :(
For example, I finally quit bleeding, began my new BCP pack, and this evening have a bowel movement and find bloody mucous, that I figured out came from my vagina.  WHY??!!  I actually started to think that maybe the cyst was going away.  :(  Is it too hopeful to think the cysts would revolve this soon (when it was just discovered last week)?  This is obviously a sign that they are still lingering.  
And i thought a blood-tinged mucous was a sure sign of OVC.  Anyone know about that?
Losing hope again,
J.
Hello all,
I also have a dermoid cyst on my right ovary. It's about 5-6 cm in diameter, and I've been experiencing left shoulder pain for a while now. I'm wondering if this could be related to the cyst? I haven't had any abdominal pain though. Just this weird pain between my shoulder blade and spine on the left side. Well I'm getting my cyst removed Monday so we'll see.

Megan
i have a 11cm cyst on the left hand side. then i got left shoulder pain last night. it is amazing for me to found it out here the relationship between these two. hehe
i have a left ovarian cyst. I also diagnosed with a left rotary cuff and require surgery. i dont know if this could be related pain though.
just wondering....have you had your calcium levels checked? I had same symptoms as you including irreg periods, constipation, and really horrible heartburn...Turns out my calcium levels had been elevated for a really long time (years) and I ended up having a parathyroid tumor the size of a chicken egg...My doc kept blowing me off because I fell in the 40's female category...My calcium levels got so high, i was getting ulcers and heart problems and really bad headaches all the time...Does this sound like you?
I'm a paramedic and see "referred pain" in the shoulder frequently when a person has problems like ovarian cysts and appendicitis...It's actually a symptom we look for...and, yes, it can be due to an acute condition...
I have a  4.5 cm R ovarian cyst...also having R shoulder/clavicle pain...thought it was my liver/gall bladder at first until the MRI revealed the large cyst...now I'm waiting 6weeks for a follow up ultraound.....all the while in extreme pain.  yay.