Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
Cyst the size of a grapefruit

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Cyst the size of a grapefruit

I have a cyst the size of a grapefruit on my right ovary.  My CA-125 was 11 so I am not too concerned about cancer.  I have had two other major surgeries on my stomach so they want to do surgery and do not want to do the laser thing to remove it.  They are going to wait a month to see if it goes away on its own.  If not, they are doing surgery and they said recovery time is 4 weeks.  Here are my questions:  What are the chances of an ovary that large going away?  I have been bleeding a lot so I am hoping maybe that means it is resolving.  Also, what are the risks of waiting?  I am starting a brand new job the day that they want to do surgery so I am thinking of putting it off a few months.  Also, what are the chances of recovering in less than 4 weeks?  I am a teacher and I can't imagine leaving kids with a sub the first 4 weeks of school.  Also, should I get a second opinion?  I got the opinion of the very best doctor in my city.  I do not want to go through the moves of getting a second opinion but my husband thinks we should.  Thank you!  Any comments will help!

Hi There,
It is unlikely that a cyst of that size will go away on its own. However, repeating an ultrasound in a month is reasonable. I agree with the otehr comments. It is important to know the qualities of the cyst. Is it solid or cystic? Are there any internal solid areas? That information is helpful in making a decision about delaying your surgery.
take care
I have an endometrioma/chocolate cyst on my right ovary that is quite large as well. Did they tell you it was a simle cyst or not? I know mine has not gone away at all.  The bleeding could be from the cyst actually messing with your ovary. Not that it is resolving.Mine can be quite painful at times, especially around my period or ovulation. I also have large fibroids as well. I have to have a hysterectomy.

I am not for surgery, but i know mine will have to be done one day.
Good Luck!
Hi!  Thank you for responding.  It is solid and looks pretty good right now.  I am going to listen to my doctor and not try to delay surgery.  It's funny, being a teacher I forget that my health is more important than my kids starting out the school year without me.  The doctor said that she will operate if the cyst is any bigger or looks worse.  It is solid now but it is the size of a grapefruit.  I can't wait to be skinny again.  You think I will lose any weight?  I have gained 10 pounds in a month!
I just found out today that I have a cyst on left ovary the size of a small grapefruit and that uterus is enlarged to what a 13 week old pregnant uterus would be. Am waiting on the outcome of CA-125  and PAP test. Doctor did a biopsy of uterus. Have experienced abnormal bleeding...heavy for 1 to 4 days of period last three months. Am concerned and anxious to find out results.