Ovarian Cancer Community
Cyst vs Mass

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Cyst vs Mass

Could  any of you wonderful people tell me if there is any difference between an ovarian cyst or a mass?
Also, I need some advice on color change. The doc said they did not like the color change on the second US and therefore reccomended a hysterectomy.
Any help is much apreciated.
you are all in my thoughts.
thank you.

Hi! Sorry I missed your post earlier, didn't mean to.
There is no difference between a cyst, a tumor or a mass. Those names are used interchangeably for the most part. If something is fluid filled only, it is usually referred to as a cyst - but not always. As far as the color change goes, I'm not sure what they are referencing, unless they are talking about the color doppler that is sometimes used with an ultrasound. They use color doppler to demonstrate the blood flow between a cyst/mass/tumor and the ovary. It shows colors in blue and red, each signifying blood flowing in or out, etc. That might be what they are talking about. Hysterectomy kind of seems to be the norm around here, so try not to let it get you too upset. Remember, 99% of cysts/tumors/masses are BENIGN (I learned that from a friend on here :)).
You will be in my thoughts and prayers, please keep us up to date on what's happening.
Robin
Thhank you for your quick response!
You guys are great.
I will keep you posted and I'm sure I'm going to have lots of stange/silly questions over the next couple (difficult) weeks.
thanks again very much. I really this board right now, because I am so scared.
thnx
-d
Just wanted to tell you that  NO question or remark is dumb or silly or anything on here. Most of are scared out of our minds, just like you. We do research and find the statistics (which are reassuring), and do everything we can to help each other through this very stressful time. Just last night I was bawling like a baby, I felt very stressed out. The women on here helped me get through it, sometimes just talking to each other helps the most. We give each other courage and questions to ask the doctor and places to look for information. It's very helpful and many of the women on here have been in exactly the same place we are now - the twilight zone. Somewhere in between knowing that something isn't right, but not yet able to find out exactly what it is. It is a difficult time and we are all here to help you. Whatever you need, just ask. I can't promise you that we'll know the answers, but I will promise that we will stand beside you every single step of the way. Everything is going to be alright. Hang in there, new cyst-er.
Robin
My ca 125 was 49 I am premenupasal and have fibroids and a cyst on one of my ovalaries should I worry.
You should not worry but you should get checked right away - firbriods are easy to manage as well as cysts but if the get large you could have problems - see your doctor right away. I was initially told I had uterine fibroids - as a medical person I knew different - I had no bleeding problems or pain - unpon hysterectomy they found a large cyst on my ovary (around 6 pounds) and in there found several cancer cells - so you see - know your body and have your doctor prescribe ultrasound along with a transvaginal ultrasound....this should show them what if anything you have....
I have a large multi cystic mass on my right ovary, measuring 10 cm, I am very scared to have surgery, but I am in pain and feeling very uncomfortable and bloated. My CA-125
came back normal. Please help me to relax.
Connie