Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
DHEA levels......cyst/tumor??

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

DHEA levels......cyst/tumor??

FINALLY I got thru to you to post my question :) DR. YOU ARE GREAT for doing this forum!!

My question is about DHEA. Mine is currently at 2227. I am 34 and have had 3 kids. A LEEP done in 10/3/2003 for 8 lesions, tubal ligation, and exploritory. Started having pains during menstrual cycle a yr ago. CA 125 is 34. CT showed a cyst/tumor on left ovary measuring 2.3 X 2.8 in Nov 06. Another CT shows "fluid" leaking from it. DR is stumpped why DHEA is so high. Been to endocrinologist, OB and others...all come with possible ovarian cancer. ALL the symptoms. Everything getting worse. Blod results getting higher and higher. DHEA was 894 4 months ago, then 1127, now 2227 and havent tested again since 1/2/07.

Have you ever dealt with DHEA levels like this?? What are the odds that I'll need surgery? I see an OB/Oncologist next Monday.
Just want to know what questions to ask her as well.

Thanks.
hi There,
I have pasted below a great summary of DHEA. It comes from UpToDate.Androgen is the general term for a certain category of hormone that has "male"  effects.

I can think of several reasons why your DHEA is elevated:
1. You are getting DHEA from some food or supplement source. Many supplements and alternative therapies have mixtures of compounds. The manufacturers are not required to accurately label the ingredients for products that are labeled 'food supplements. so DHEA could be present in a vitamin mixture, an herbal mixture, and so on
2 You are producing DHEA internally from either your adrenal gland or your ovary. usually tumors - benign or malignant can produce DHEA. With the cyst on your ovary, it is possible that that is the source. However, cysts are very common on the ovary. You should ask you doctor if the CT scan you got had an adrenal protocol. With an adrenal protocol ct scan, extra thin sections of  the region around the adrenal glands are examined.

if an external source of DHEA has been ruled out and your adrenal glands look normal, the next step would be to remove that ovarian cyst surgically.

best wishes to you.

DHEA from UptoDate

Premenopausal women
1 Comment
A related discussion, onset of menopause dhea and complex cyst was started.
A related discussion, High DHEAS level was started.