Ovarian Cancer Community
Delayed menstruation for 10 months

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Delayed menstruation for 10 months

Im 26 yrs. old and 3yrs married. I have a pcos or polycystic ovarian syndrome. Im a very nervous person and anxiety.  Last year I've been taking provera because of my amennorhea (amenorrhea) also duphaston and clomid but then  i stop taking provera and other medicine  because of the bad side effect to me i cannot tolerate the pain. Since then i never been had a menses since last August 2002.  Im scared for not having a menstruation for 10 months my oby-gyne told me that if I dont have a menses every month it will risk for me to have a endometrial cancer. Is it true? What can I do? Taking again provera every month? Does provera had a good effect or its safe in my health or to avoid becoming indometrial cancer for long time by using it? Please help me, I dont know what to do now.

Thank you in advance and more power to medhelp.
1 Comment
Since I was 11 yrs old, I have been having problems with my period. When it first began, I would have my period every other month. Then it would be every two months, sometimes three... sometimes even 6 months, and people would say..."When you turn 17 that'll go away and you'll have your period every month." I am 23 now and all its done is get worse. My mother and sisters never had this problem. I don't even think anyone else in my extended family has this problem. In 1999 or 2000 I went 8 months without my period... no, I wasn't pregnant... I haven't had relations in 6 yrs... but during those 8 months, I did spot... and some pale looking blood clots would come out, but no actual blood. Then in the 9th month I had my period for about a month. Then it went away again for 2 months. It was the same as always again. Then in Sept of 2002, was the last time I had my period and now it's July 4th 2003... Where did my period go?? Ten months without my period and I ain't even pregnant... what's going on? What is wrong with me? I don't have insurance to see a gyn, and I am scared to find out some bad news... so can someone give me an answer as to what is going on with my body? In 1998, I saw a gyn for the first time and she prescribed me some birth control pills called Orthotrycylin. That didn't work... all it did was make me fatter, so I quit that. Haven't seen another gyn since. So I don't know what's going on inside of me. Most women I know say that I am lucky to not have my period cause I don't have to suffer like they do, but I don't feel like a woman if I don't have my period... and I don't want to have problems with my reproductive system. I want to eventually have kids... and this worries me. I especially don't want to develop cancer. Can someone out there please give me some wisdom or words of advise?