Ovarian Cancer Community
Dental Cleaning and Chemo

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Dental Cleaning and Chemo

What do you do,  when you never get a break from chemo, and want to go for a Dental Cleaning?  Any suggestions,  ?
My dentist has given me antibiotics to take and I did not have a problem. Your onc or dentist should have some ideas!
Same here,  I had to take antibiotics for 1 week before and 5 days after..
I went to the dentist for the first time since chemo yesterday. My chemo began in Nov. and ended the end of March.  My hygienist was very surprised to find out we're not even supposed to floss while having chemo.  Later, my dentist also commented on how counter productive this is for people.  After all, we're asking for dental problems if we don't floss.  BTW, my teeth were in great condition...no problems from the chemo.  I disobeyed and flossed, lightly the whole time.  If you should HAVE to have some type dental procedure, I would make sure your bloodcounts are normal.  My husband has to have platelet transfusions, just to go to the dentist now. (due to poor bloodcounts from chemo)
Teresa
One of the things I did was to use tooth-whitening strips during chemo.  It kept my teeth clean and lifted my spirits up from time to time.
  Since I have never been off of chemo, I asked my onc awhile back about going to the dentist and he told me to go ahead and go. But I guess that he would say that as it does not look like I will be getting a break any time soon.
        Chris
I developed receeding gums while on chemo and my dentist would not touch me while on chemo.  She suggested I use toothpaste high in fluoride and keep my mouth moist all the time.  Found out that high fluoride toothpaste needs prescription.  Then she made me wait 6 months after i stopped chemo before even cleaning my teeth let alone fix the cavities I developed while on chemo.  Now my gums are back to normal.