Ovarian Cancer Community
Dermoid Cyst & Calcified Ovarian Mass

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Dermoid Cyst & Calcified Ovarian Mass

My sister is 15 years old and just found out this week that she has either a Dermoid Tumor/Cyst or Calcified Ovarian Mass/Cyst.  How quickly does this stuff develop?  She had a CT in January for her Appendix and they relooked at the films and said that it was not present at that time.  This is a little over 6 months and they are now saying that it is there.  Do they develop this fast and what is the difference in the two types of cysts they think it is?  I have been trying to find something on here and I can't find an explanation on this.  Please help, she is scared and they are going to take the ovaries before she has her Sweet 16.  

This discussion is related to Surgery/Growth of Ovarian cyst in 16 year old.
1 Comment
After reading your post I researched medhelp and came up with this info...

It is always scary to be told you have a mass on your ovary. It is not possible to make a diagnosis of what it is without removing it. Luckily most masses or cysts on the ovaries are benign. There are lots of different words used to describe growths on the ovaries. A cyst implies an enlargement that contains fluid. A mass is a more general word that can mean a growth that is cystic or solid or both.

Many growths contain calcium. I believe that the majority are benign. The most common tumor of the ovary is a benign mature teratoma. This is also called a dermoid cyst. This benign tumor contains calcium, hair, elements of bone, cartilage, neural tissue. Other benign calcified masses include fibromas and fibroids (leiomyomas).

By the way you can also visit the ovarian cysts forum for additional info...good luck and keep us posted..also always remember always get a 2nd opinion!   Gia :)