Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
Dermoid Cyst

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Dermoid Cyst

I have a dermoid cyst located in my left ovary....i have been doin my research but i still do not understand how a dermoid cyst is and what causes it. When i try to explain it to my friends they keep asking me if i was pregnant........I don't know how to answer that.
hi Courtney
a dermoid is a benign tumor of the cell cell in the ovary. No one knows why these tumors occur but they are the most common type of ovarian tumor
best wishes
hi courtney
i dont know if this will help, but when my son was born he had a dermoid cyst over his left eye.  at first, it was not noticable, but by 4 month it started to grow.  the doctor told us, that if left untreated it would continue to grow and may cause problems w/ his eye later on, therefore he recommended us to have it removed, therefore that is what we did. it was same day surgery, and he had stitches and the cyst never cam back.   I would recommend asking the doctor to remove it, if possible.  Maybe dermoid cyst are different when found in other areas of the body, that i don't know.  but i just want to advise what we had done.  wish i could help in explaining where it comes from or how it got there, but again, the doctor did not explain much.  sorry that i can't help you w/ those quesitons.
Hi Courtney - Lee,

I recently had 2 large dermoid cysts removed from both left and right ovaries. it can have skin, hair, bone, and teeth like a little grimlin i guess. and it can be little to very very large but most of all benign or not cancerous. you could've had it for a very long time or even a short time doctors dont really know but i guess you can go by what you're body feels or is telling you. regardless, you would need treatment. i was experiencing sharp pains in my ovaries and gaining weight abnormally for about a 1 - 2 yrs but didnt know why. Come to find out, they were dermoids and a week later i had major surgery laporatomy to take them out because they were so large.
you're not pregnant but you need to treat it before it gets worse.
what causes dermoid cyst ?