Ovarian Cancer Community
Dermoid Ovarion Cancer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Dermoid Ovarion Cancer

My daughter had a 7 lb. what they thought was a dermoid tumor.  After surgery he said every thing went fine.  It was wraping around her bowel, so I asked for him to biopsy it. He did so and it came back that it was full of cancer. What he didn't tell us that the tumor burst when it was taken out.  We saw a oncologist a few days ago and told us about the tumor. She is 33 and has had 2 babies in the last 3 years.  The cancer he said is rare at her age and having babies back to back.  My questions are #1 is it a dermoid tumor and 2 since the tumor burst  does that mean the cancer can spread all over. Also she had her gallbladder previous to finding the tumor which was not noticed. Could gallbladder been cancerous. The oncologist has suggested a total hysterrectomy.  And have a series chemo, 6 session every 3 weeks. Does that find where all the cancer is and does it kill the cancer.  I'm a wreck about this.
I want to know the truth as much as possible at this time.
Thanks Sandy
1.  I can not tell you what kind of tumor she has. Only a Dr can do that. 2.  Bursting tumors are not good but you will not know anything definite until she has her surgery. 3. If she has a gynecological cancer she probably did not have cancer in her gallbladder.  I had mine out 25 yrs ago about six months after the birth of my first daughter and the insurance company said gallbladder surgery was so common in women who have just given birth that they pay for it as if it is pregnancy related.  At the time I had Aetna with an 80/20 plan except for Maternity which was 100%, so they paid it all.  I am glad you now have an oncologist as they are more equipped to handle these situations.  During the surgery they will take samples of the fluids in her stomach as well as sections from the removed organs and have them tested.  They will also stage her at that time.  Chemo kills cancer cells as well as other cells and hopefully only the good ones replicate.
Take a few deep breaths and do what most moms do; find out all you can, go to her Drs appts with her and ask questions (sometimes those of us in the throes of it can't think and we need you to do that for us) and in general just be a mom.  I am sorry that this is not more articulate or helpful, but I am very tired tonight.  I just did not want your post to go unanswered.  There are many people on here like you that are caretakers and I am sure they will be along to help also.  Good luck and keep us posted.  Following is a link to the ovarian cancer page at John Hopkins.
Jan
http://ovariancancer.jhmi.edu/menu_understanding.cfm
Thanks so much for responding to my letter.  I have been attending all her appts. as her husband has been in Germany.  Her Dad and I went to the oncoligist with her. Take care of your self, and I will make a list of questions.
Sandy
Since this is a gynecological cancer, you should be seeing a gynecologic oncologist.
Is that who you are working with now? If not, you need to find one to do the surgery. They have special training in regards to gynecologic cancers and treatments.

Good luck.
Thanks again, she does have a gyn oncologist. She is schueled in London for surgery.  We have another appt. this Friday.  I just need more answers.