Ovarian Cancer Community
Dermoid cysts.. cancer? or not harmful? I'm still confused.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Last October I had a dermoid on my right side rupture and the fluid caused my appendix to become irritated. I went in to the ER and when they took the CT they found that the appendicitis was caused by the ruptured cyst. After a long night and surgery the next day it was time to decide what to do about the cyst. They told me I had the dermoids on both sides and they were actually very large. I don't remember the actual measurements. The doctors were kind of shocked because dermoids cause a LOT of pain and I had dealt with them getting really large (I actually had awful back pain from them the whole summer before) and they were also surprised because I was only fourteen years old. They went in to take out the dermoids a few months later in December, when they proved to be bigger than the doctors initially thought, and they had to do a five inch incision and take out my whole right ovary. I went in a couple months ago with more pain and they think I have a dermoid again. I'm not ignorant, despite my age, but although I talk to my doctor at every ultrasound and appointment I really don't understand why the cysts come back. He said the dermoid cells get stuck in my ovary and they can develop into another cyst after the first cyst is taken out, but does this mean it's cancerous? Can I develop cancer from these? I know ovarian cancer is almost unheard of in anyone under forty, but dermoid cysts are also rare in anyone under twenty. I'm not really that worried about this, but if someone could tell me some more about the difference between dermoids and cancer it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Dermoids are strange creatures by nature anyway.  Have you had an ultra sound to see if there is another cyst?  Alot of times, we get adhesions after surgery and this can cause severe pain.  Where is your pain?  There are some things you can do to get rid of the pain of adhesions.  Body rolling is one option that has really helped me.  I too had 2 huge dermoids and lost both overies.  The only way to find out what is going on is to have a biopsy and find out what the cyst (if it is a cyst) is made up of.  Google dermoids if you haven't already and you will be amazed.
Tascha
Mary may help explain body rolling for you.